View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 09:34 AM

"It's OK, he's only a puppy" (jumping up)

Grrrrrr

Now it's my turn to jump on the "stupid things people say" bandwagon.

Neil & I have been working very hard with Woody's training, as you know. We now want to start teaching him manners and jumping up at people is one thing we want to stop right away.

He never does it with us now as we just turn away and ignore but with other people, he does it all the time.

Whenever someone comes to the house, or we're on a walk and meet people we tell them to do the same but after a while they always give in and say "it's OK, he's only a puppy". After explaining that yes, but one day he is going to be a fully grown 25kgs dog and we want to stop it now, they all seem to just ignore us and carry on.

So how do I get it through to people without being rude? It's very annoying!

Also, while I'm on, any tips on getting him to not jump up at tables and work surfaces? We usually push off by the chest and say off but he ALWAYS does it!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
If I have a pup - when people come to the house I always have them on a lead or seperated from the people. They are too much of a temptation for the people to annoy!

Stand on the lead (NOT so you are pinning him down!) but so he can stand but not jump - out and about - same applies really - recalling him before he gets to people and getting him to sit or lie down. A reflective sheet or harness can help as well - people often associate these with assitance dogs and will leave the dog alone!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
We had 2 huge bouncy pups to walk / train once and we spent a lot of time walking up to people who smiled at them, putting the pup in a sit and giving the person a treat to give the pup. They soon smacked their little bottoms down expectantly when a stranger approached.
In the house I put my dogs on a lead if people come - my youngsters can be suspicious.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 11:11 AM
About the counter surfing, and teaching "off"

What I did was teach what "off " meant first, so they know exactly what you mean, start with putting his food down, or having your hand open with treats as he goes to take them say "off" close your hand and wait till he takes his nose away. Then say your release command, for mine it is "Go on" and let him have the treat You will be amazed how quickly they learn "off" this way, it comes clear that "Off" means keep away, I do this if I am out and they see something dead and disgusting.

He will now know off means keep away, so next time he goes to counter surf, if you say off he should understands, and if he does it reward him with a treat , fuss etc. Sometimes when you start pushing the dog down off a counter etc, it can seem like a game to them, and they keep doing it

This method has worked with all my dogs, including Mack, who could reach the top of the counter at a very young age. Well it is worth a try anyway xxx
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 11:15 AM
I would explaine it before hand, (even if that means backing away when you are on a walk until you have said it), and give them a chance to do it right. If they don't then i would back away and say goodbye.

In the house i would keep in out the way, and then give them a chance ...... and if they won't then take control and have him near you. If they actively encourage him to jump up, then remove him. ****** not being rude....they ar being rude not respecting your requests!

I also opt for the thumbs in collar method when Tonks is saying hello to others, as a safety net. It's difficult as it is important young pups meet loads of people in order to be socialized properly so you can't keep them away from people, so the thumbs in the collar is a balanace of manners and meeting people.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
He just loves it when people come to visit. He does what we call the "Woody Wiggle" and wiggles his bum so much he occasionally loses his balance.

I LOVE the idea of sitting on his bum to get a treat though, I know that would work for him! Thanks ;o)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Moostone, we say "leave it" and it's 82% effective so far ;o) But I haven't thought to say it when he goes to jump up on things, only if he goes near the plants or horrid things. Will try it and keep training it to see if that helps.

Catrin, I know they are rude and it does annoy me. His parents are the worst, but they have never had dogs and treat him like a Grandson! Hmmmm! Don't get me started on that ;o) I must admit I have found myself resorting to thumbs in collar now, but then I get lots of "Don't worry he wont kill him" comments because they think I'm bieng precious with my puppy. Grrrr!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Moostone, we say "leave it" and it's 82% effective so far ;o) But I haven't thought to say it when he goes to jump up on things, only if he goes near the plants or horrid things. Will try it and keep training it to see if that helps.

Catrin, I know they are rude and it does annoy me. His parents are the worst, but they have never had dogs and treat him like a Grandson! Hmmmm! Don't get me started on that ;o) I must admit I have found myself resorting to thumbs in collar now, but then I get lots of "Don't worry he wont kill him" comments because they think I'm bieng precious with my puppy. Grrrr!
Mmmmm tis difficult. If people really won't listen with Tonks....i leave them too it! They soon realise that four stone of very excited dog with a head like a slab of concrete being encouraged to jump up gets very painful for them but not for Tonks. The good ol staffi headbut! Luckily she will come away when i call.......that technique has cured the worst offenders....i won't help them if they won't help themselves!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Only just caught up with this post but found it interesting as we have the same problem with Monty. The amount of times I've said to people that's he's going to be a big dog and it not sinking in is untrue and highly annoying.

I don't if this is a correct method or advisable but we come down to Montys level to say hello to him and then if he still jumps up we walk away and ignore him. Seems to work as he realises and then waits to be greeted. Whilst out and meeting people I get him on a really short lead and also thumb under collar then ask him to sit which he does 90% of the time.

It is annoying when you work hard at training your dog and people come along and undo that hard work.
colliemagic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I teach my dogs to sit and then give them a treat and let the visitor make a fuss. They soon learn that unless they sit they are ignored!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >