View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-07-2007, 06:18 PM

11 breeds banned from all Dublin City Council properties!

Just came accross this and thought it was discusting how they've singled out certain breeds? have a read and comment on it! does it affect anyone on here?

Eleven breeds of dog, including Rottweilers, Bull Terriers and German Shepherds have been banned from all Dublin City Council properties, including houses, flats and estates, with immediate effect.

The council has said it will give tenants an opportunity to rehouse the animals but if alternative suitable accommodation cannot be found for them they will be destroyed.

The council has taken the step to remove all "dangerous breeds" due to the increasing numbers of complaints from tenants and because of the legal implications associated with an attack taking place on one of its properties. The ban initially applies to council housing and all public areas within council estates.

However, the council plans to amend its bylaws to include public parks in the ban. This would mean that anyone owning a dangerous dog could not walk it in a public park, even if they lived in private housing.

The council has also written to the Minister for the Environment asking him to ban all breeds of fighting dogs nationally. The 11 breeds are not banned for general ownership in Ireland but must be muzzled, kept on a special leash and be under the control of a person over 16 years old.

The breeds are: English Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Rottweiler, German Shepherd (Alsatian), Doberman, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Japanese Akita, Bull Mastiff, Japanese Tosa and Bandog. Cross-breeds of these dogs or crosses of these dogs with any other breed are also banned.

Executive manager of the council's housing department Michael O'Neill said tenants would be asked to remove any banned dogs but if they failed to comply the council would take them away. "Our information on these dogs is that that they can be very aggressive and while they might be family pets, that has to come secondary and would be no defence to us if a child or other vulnerable person was attacked on our property."

Labour councillor Kevin Humphreys said he understood council tenants may feel discriminated against, but he hoped that this was just the first step to banning these breeds nationally.

© 2007 The Irish Times

Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 06:32 PM
From what I can gather it only applies at this time to Council Tennants whom own these breeds. I don't know how they would enforce it with property owners - so it seems a bit stupid to me.

At this moment in time it don't effect me (as I don't live in Dublin) and if this was the kind of ban that was introduced, it still wouldn't effect me unless I was walking my dogs in public areas within council estates. Which of course if they were ever 'banned' I wouldn't do.

I feel sorry for the people whom it does effect, because from what I can gather it was an immediate ban
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2007, 06:37 PM
This country is getting worse by the minute, as I stated in another post, for some reason this is becomeing a nation that is being slowly stopped from owining dogs.

Ian
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 07:02 PM
I am sure it won't be long before other councils follow. It is so sad for the owners of these poor dogs, what is going to happen to all the dogs. I dread to think. Alas I feel it is due to the moron macho people who own them that responsible owners are going to have to part with their much loved pets.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I have read this somewhere else as well, it really has my blood boiling. What right have they to do this ? its bloody out of order and as Hoggett rightly says its just another step along the road to a ban on all dogs.(Although when i suggested this in the BSL section,I was told i was being melodramatic and stupid. I was accused of scaremongering).
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
What right have they to do this ?

Lets not forget, whether we like it or not the council is a Landlord and can make up whatever rules they like concerning the properties that they have for rent.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 08:22 PM
This is terrible, what are all of those poor owners meant to do - become homeless or have their dogs destroyed? If they really wanted to ban specific dogs because of their own ignorance then they should at least said 'from now on new tennants will not be able to have a *insert breed*'. and phased them out that way, if they really felt the need to do it.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Alas I feel it is due to the moron macho people who own them that responsible owners are going to have to part with their much loved pets.
Agree totally with that, the mindless people who behave irresponsibly & give certain breeds a bad name have ruined things for the many genuine owners of those breeds.
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
This is terrible, what are all of those poor owners meant to do - become homeless or have their dogs destroyed? If they really wanted to ban specific dogs because of their own ignorance then they should at least said 'from now on new tennants will not be able to have a *insert breed*'. and phased them out that way, if they really felt the need to do it.
i agree Majuka! just think of all them respectable families who live on council estates who would no longer be able to keep their loved well looked after family pet because all of a sudden the dog they've had for 4,5,6 or whatever years is now all of a sudden a "dangerous dog" it sucks just another thing taken away from us!
They need to spend more time sorting out the scumbag junkies who've never worked and have everything for nothing! also these are the idiots who'll get their dog taken off them destroyed then a week or 2 later will have another! THIS COUNTRY SUCKS
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
Lets not forget, whether we like it or not the council is a Landlord and can make up whatever rules they like concerning the properties that they have for rent.
councils can only work within the law,if people stick together and stand up to them some of these rediculas rules can be overturned.people affected by these new rules should group together and involve people like there local mp and local newspapers and stand up for there rights. if you belive in your dogs ,dont just accept what the council says,if ide done that you wouldnt have had any northern inuits today.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »