View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 02:32 PM

Oh my goodness... my head! (upstairs tenants)

Well the students have moved into the flat above the shop...

Good grief! They are very good - they don't play loud music (at least not while I'm here), they don't seem to purposely make any noise but I don't know how long I can stand it!

Just them walking across the room above where I sit goes through me. It's not all that loud but it's like a pressure thing and feels like it's going 'boom boom boom' in my head.

I'm sure the landlord can't have actually done this right - the way it sounds there's absolutely no way it's fire proofed like it should be!

I'm most likely not keeping this place on after the break option anyway (not closing the business just not keeping this premises) but how I'm going to put up with it until November I don't know!

You never know... if it causes my head to explode I might get some compensation!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 02:45 PM
i feel your pain... my sister walks up and down in her room for hours whenever shes home from uni, right above me and at all hours ear defenders maybe?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 03:05 PM
It's a definite possibility

I just can't believe it's supposed to be a separate flat... my dad's maisonette has concrete between the floors to comply with building regs - he can't hear his neighbour at all - shouldn't their floor be thicker??

Surely you're not supposed to be able to hear footsteps as though they're baby elephants jumping??
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 08:03 AM
I wonder if their floor is laminate or similar? Years ago I lived in flats and we had a board of directors for each block, we were having a meeting in one of the ground floor flats and we rang buzzer of the girl in the flat above (who had forgotten about the meeting). The noise she made coming across the hall to answer it was incredible. Fortunatley the guy who lived there was hard of hearing! Everyone there was surprised at the noise, including other people who lived on the ground floor and didn't hear that sort of noise from the people who lived above them.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 08:29 AM
If it is a conversion, it may well not meet regulations. You could ask your Council`s Environmental Health dept. to check. If you don`t want to upset your landlord, you could discuss it with him - get him to listen while someone walks round upstairs. And make the students listen as well in case they think you`re being picky. Then suggest foam underlay, thick pile carpets and no shoes upstairs?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I wonder if it's laminate or wooden flooring up there. I don't think they had any proper flooring down when I viewed it - or if they did it was wood... I can't remember.

I'm not staying here after this break option anyway and have just shortened my opening hours so I don't have to put up with it too much! Just as well really!

Thing is, it's not noisy - it's like a dull thud throughout the shop and it just gets into your head but isn't particularly loud - really strange!