Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Oooooo I lurvvve Marmite (still think we should have a drooly smilie!)
Denmark and Canada don't know what they are missing
I like lettuce and lathered on marmite sandwiches
my family in canada hate marmite. not had it myself for years; a small jar lurks at the back of my cupboard and it has never gone off so maybe that is a reason they ban it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I thought marmite was going to be banned because it's made from waste products in the brewing industry! I will try and find a link to where I read it!

My daughter will be distraught. She doesn't use it sparingly she lathers it on. She also makes marmite pasta (eeeyuk it looks greyish brown and stinks!)

I like marmite on toast. Also marmite dobbed onto cheese under the grill. But that's it.
As someone born and bred in Derbyshire and used to the smell of brewing/hops/yeast permeating the air around Burton on Trent , I can confirm Marmite is indeed a by-product of the brewing industry and is made of the residue of hops and yeast
http://www.veggiefoodwriter.co.uk/id14.html

I don't mind it on Twiglets but couldn't eat it on bread .
It's a good source of Vitamin B12 and a useful addition to the vegan diet .
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Maybe it's because of the brewing waste that I like it
Who likes Bovril?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
As someone born and bred in Derbyshire and used to the smell of brewing/hops/yeast permeating the air around Burton on Trent , I can confirm Marmite is indeed a by-product of the brewing industry and is made of the residue of hops and yeast
http://www.veggiefoodwriter.co.uk/id14.html

I don't mind it on Twiglets but couldn't eat it on bread .
It's a good source of Vitamin B12 and a useful addition to the vegan diet .
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I knew I read that somewhere yonks ago but couldn't find any info today.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Maybe it's because of the brewing waste that I like it
Who likes Bovril?
Every time I hear or read 'Bovril' I am transported back to the open air swimming lido in london where, if you broke the ice, you got in FREE. And BOVRIL was the drink to warm you up. (but always had 'grouts' in the bottom of the cup!)
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2014, 04:32 AM
I LOVE marmite!! full stop!! and twiglets!! in fact my sister just sent me a care package, 2 jars of marmite and 8 packets of twiglets
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2014, 05:13 AM
I have also heard that eating too much Vegemite can make you really sick, though not sure how much truth that has to it. Tons of B vitamins are bad for you, so it makes sense.

I can say this, there are loads of Americans doing the "Vegemite challenge" on YouTube and almost everyone's reactions are of pure disgust. Hilarious really. Some can't even swallow it.

But most of them just ate a spoonful of the stuff. I'd think if you tried that with any normal condiment product (such as mustard or vinegar) your reaction would be like that. But then, putting mustard in heavy (or any) amounts on toast would garner a disgusted reaction so IDK.

I was unable to actually EAT it when I smelled it and saw it. But perhaps if you eat it like it's meant to be eaten, it might compliment better and not taste so horrid.

IDK, maybe it's just kinda not good to Americans regardless of what you do with it.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2014, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I have also heard that eating too much Vegemite can make you really sick, though not sure how much truth that has to it. Tons of B vitamins are bad for you, so it makes sense.

I can say this, there are loads of Americans doing the "Vegemite challenge" on YouTube and almost everyone's reactions are of pure disgust. Hilarious really. Some can't even swallow it.

But most of them just ate a spoonful of the stuff. I'd think if you tried that with any normal condiment product (such as mustard or vinegar) your reaction would be like that. But then, putting mustard in heavy (or any) amounts on toast would garner a disgusted reaction so IDK.

I was unable to actually EAT it when I smelled it and saw it. But perhaps if you eat it like it's meant to be eaten, it might compliment better and not taste so horrid.

IDK, maybe it's just kinda not good to Americans regardless of what you do with it.
It has high salt levels hence the sickness. And not good thus for anyone with high blood pressure.

And yes, they tried a spoonful. That idea makes me feel nauseous
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2014, 06:52 AM
I'd marry marmite if that wasn't so weird!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2014, 07:01 AM
Hot Marmite drinks on a cold winter evening...

Steamed sprouts tossed in Marmite...

Marmite mixed in hot porridge...

Do not knock it until you have tried it!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >