Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:18 PM

Diarrhoea with mucus...

On Monday, Arrow (8 weeks old) had his first vaccination. The vet gave him a check up, and said he looks great etc. I also got some wormer for him, because the breeder said he was due to be done again. He had been done when he was with her (I think every 2 weeks?).

He was ok on Monday, but on Tuesday morning I saw that he had been sick in his crate during the night. Then all day Tuesday and Wednesday, he was very 'loose'. Sometimes he has full diarrhoea, but other times he would be a bit solid but the end part would be pure liquid. I put this, and the sickness, down to the vaccination.

His toileting has been ok since them, just occasionally runny towards the end of his poo. Although, yesterday he was pooing all day. Last night, I had a terrible night with him though. He has been great in his crate, but last night he was whining loads, and kept me awake. I left him a wee while, but because he hasn't been doing that any other night, I thought I would get him out and take him out for the toilet. He immediately did the toilet, and it came out pretty much like water.

Then, this morning he did the toilet again, and this time it was 'lumpy' (sorry ) but it had mucus looking stuff all over it... Since then, he has done the toilet a number of times and it is very watery but no more mucus.

I'm not sure what this could be... could it be the vaccination? Or is it likely to be something else?

My dad keeps telling me not to worry, because he is behaving normally, still playing, eating, drinking etc. Although, we have noticed that he is drinking a lot, and has been doing so since we brought him home. I'm not sure if that is just me though because I am so used to how little Jake drinks...
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:25 PM
What did you worm him with?

I would give him a very bland food for 48 hours such as chicken... Assuming he is ok in himself and still drinking. Is he on dry food? Jake is fed raw isn't he? If so that may be why he seems to drink more than jake.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Just have a read of this, not necessarily true to your case but worth noting, happens predominantly in raw fed dogs, I had a couple of pups with it once, they made a full recovery
http://www.afghanhoundsinternational...alth/campy.htm
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
What did you worm him with?

I would give him a very bland food for 48 hours such as chicken... Assuming he is ok in himself and still drinking. Is he on dry food? Jake is fed raw isn't he? If so that may be why he seems to drink more than jake.
He was wormed with advocate, it was one that covered worms and fleas, ticks etc.

He is on two meals of dry food (I soak it first in water) and two of chicken mince, or one of chicken mince and the other of scrambled egg. He has tried a chicken wing, and a chicken carcass but they aren't a proper part of his diet yet. Jake is raw fed, and I plan for Arrow to be raw fed once I gradually wean him on to it.

Originally Posted by sutty View Post
Just have a read of this, not necessarily true to your case but worth noting, happens predominantly in raw fed dogs, I had a couple of pups with it once, they made a full recovery
http://www.afghanhoundsinternational...alth/campy.htm
Thank you for the link, will give it a wee read just now
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 10:18 PM
It might be worth sticking to either the kibble or mince just for a couple of days to see if that allows his stomach to settle. Other than that it will probably just pass, rave and her littermate that stayed longer both came down with a gastro bug at about 12 weeks, lasted about a week and they were fine after that.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
It might be worth sticking to either the kibble or mince just for a couple of days to see if that allows his stomach to settle. Other than that it will probably just pass, rave and her littermate that stayed longer both came down with a gastro bug at about 12 weeks, lasted about a week and they were fine after that.
Thanks

I have just stuck with the mince today, because I thought that would be kinder on his tummy.

He last had diarrhoea about 12pm, and then didn't do anything until 7pm. It was soft then, but not diarrhoea as such. He went again about half an hour ago, and it is much better. It looks like a normal poo now, so I hope that it keeps away.

It was the mucus stuff that was worrying me most...
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
He was wormed with advocate, it was one that covered worms and fleas, ticks etc......
Did you use the Advocate on the same day he was vaccinated ?

Did your vet ask you if he is either MDR-1 normal by parentage or by DNA test ? Advocate should really only be used on herding breeds(or crosses of the same)that are known to be MDR-1 normal.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

Did your vet ask you if he is either MDR-1 normal by parentage or by DNA test ? Advocate should really only be used on herding breeds(or crosses of the same)that are known to be MDR-1 normal.
Very true Does it give them squitty tummy? The only experience I have had was a friend of mine whos vet wormed the horses - and her dogs ate the poo
They didnt have an upset tummy but were very ill - both dogs went blind for a few days she said!! One was a collie, the other a JRT!

Always worth saying about the Advocate with collie types - some vets seem to forget!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

He was vaccinated on Monday, and I used the advocate on Wednesday. Could the advocate cause diarrhoea like this?

The vet didn't ask anything like that... He isn't DNA tested, but his parents are. How can I find out if he is normal? Would that just be a case of asking the breeding?

Why is it only herding breeds that need to be normal?

I don't know what they have used on Jake either so will need to watch for him too (only one I can remember is Stronghold from when they thought his allergies were a mite).

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Very true Does it give them squitty tummy? The only experience I have had was a friend of mine whos vet wormed the horses - and her dogs ate the poo
They didnt have an upset tummy but were very ill - both dogs went blind for a few days she said!! One was a collie, the other a JRT!

Always worth saying about the Advocate with collie types - some vets seem to forget!
Blind???
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Some wormers such as advocate and milbemax can cause reactions in collie types. It's the mdr1 gene that causes it and is unlikely that his parents are both tested (its not a typical bc health test)but worth asking I guess.

Anyway, I very much doubt it's anything to do with a reaction to the wormer, it probably just upset his tummy a little (like most wormers)and is taking a while to recover.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >