Our sister sites
Our sister sites
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2019, 06:14 PM

Weight loss in senior dogs

Hi ☺️

Please excuse my absence I’ve not been here for quite a while!

Just looking for some advice for a friend please.

My friend has a 13 yr old Malamute X. She’s losing weight in her senior years. The vet has said there is nothing they can recommend for helping her to retain or even put on a little weight. She does have some health issues including a heart condition and dementia.

Can anyone recommend any food for weight gain or maintenance in a senior? She has quite a sensitive tummy too

Thank you.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2019, 12:13 AM
How many times a day is your friend feeding? I have found that pasta can be a cheap and very useful addition to an elderly dogs diet. Either added in to the normal ration, or as an extra meal with just a little vegetable oil and grated cheese added. It is usually easily digested. I feed my oldies twice a day normally, but would feed three times a day if they were losing weight - as long as the appetite stayed good.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2019, 05:06 PM
Thank you, I’ve forwarded your reply. Hopefully it’ll help. She’s home a lot with her so I’m sure adding an extra meal in shouldn’t be too difficult.
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2019, 12:16 PM
Oh how I love our oldies, they are so precious to us.
Sometimes with our oldies it is better for an old dog to slim down and loose some weight, especially if there is a heart problem. A slim oldie can be very active and healthy. I am sure your vet will help you keep an eye on her.
As long as your food is a good quality with all nutrients provided and not too many cheap unnecessary fillers included, I'm sure she will be ok.
Green tripe is always good for putting weight on (full of good and beneficial nutrition) and very easy to digest.

Best wishes.
Roedtan
New Member!
Male 

05-05-2019, 08:25 AM
This great product supports healthy heart function and joint care, boosts energy levels and alleviates fatigue.
[removed]
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2019, 10:30 PM
Is she eating well?

If she is, has the vet thought about running a thyroid panel and running checks for pancreatitis?

Just a thought
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Forgotten View Post
Green tripe is always good for putting weight on (full of good and beneficial nutrition) and very easy to digest.

Yes Green Tripe is good but it's difficult to buy. My understanding is that butchers are not allowed to sell it to the general public because of some 'nanny state' food regulations

Our Casey began to loose weight towards the end of his life, he had a serious heart condition (DCM) as well as other problems with pulse rate and water retention not to mention the arthritus.

The vets are probably correct, so long as the weight loss is not too dramatic it could be a good thing in that they won't have to use so much energy to get around.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Green tripe is an excellent suggestion. You can buy it on line from many of the BARF raw food suppliers, such as Landywoods, Albion etc. Personally, as a huge fan of raw feeding and having owned Malamute crosses for over 20 years, I would never feed anything but raw meat and bones. Our northern breed dogs in particular do not tend to thrive on high carbohydrate foods like rice, pasta etc, but do much better on raw meat and bones. Raw green tripe would be an excellent choice - it has everything a dog needs.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

31-05-2019, 11:59 AM
Thanks Gnasher, I will check out those suppliers