Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbi3dogs
New Member!
Female 

03-04-2008, 08:56 PM

Agility question

Hello everyone. I am new to the site. I was just wandering if anyone had any good tips on how to train for agility. I have a boarder collie and a sheltie that are very hyper. I purchased a tunnel, an A frame and a few bar jumps. I do not plan to compete - we just wanted some activities to do in the back yard. I know they will really like it since both are very eager to please me. Thanks.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi! Sorry no help as I've only just started agility myself but bump!!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 03:37 PM
We started walking the obstacles with dog on a lead. Lots of praise, treats and encouragement and don`t let them jump off sideways. keep their heads controlled. Take it slow and keep their confidence levels up.Patch is a good person to ask fro more detail.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Yup sure patch will be on here with good advice soon

I would say even if you dont think you are going to compeate still go to a good class for a while
Getting the dog to do the obsticles is the easy bit - its good to have someone to train you how to direct the dog
and its best to do it right to start with - safer for the dogs health (its is a sport and they can get injured if you do it wrong) and also it is addictive, you will most likely find that you want to do more and in no time you are at comps - much better to have trained right from the start - bad habits are hard to retrain

But if you want things to practise at home with what you have got
Get them to stay then go to the other side of the jump and call them over
chuck a ball over to get them to go ahead of you over a jump
running beside them chuck a ball over the jump

Tunnel - if they are worried scrunch it up short and lure them through with food or a ball

have fun and make vids for us to see
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Don`t know how I missed this one when the thread was first posted
If the OP wanders back, let us know the ages of the two dogs , so if either re under 12 months we can suggest specific puppy suitable non-impact and non-bending exercises to start with - just want to check that and to make sure the OP comes back before I start typing reams

[ Azz does have the first `Introduction to Agility` piece ready to put in the Articles section when time allows, and there will be more to follow, increasing in depth of explanations for training for particular elements and hopefully with specific video clips to demo bits and pieces ]
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
[ Azz does have the first `Introduction to Agility` piece ready to put in the Articles section when time allows, and there will be more to follow, increasing in depth of explanations for training for particular elements and hopefully with specific video clips to demo bits and pieces ]
cool cant wait
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
cool cant wait
Me neither
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Nor me......
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Me neither....
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Just started agility with Dingo and we've been told to walk one either side of him on the ramps so that he can't jump off either side. Also to keep a loose lead so we don't pull him off either.

Heidi
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >