Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2012, 09:43 AM

Pain patches

Has anyone used pain patches and do they work? I am more interested in OTC pain patches than prescription ones as most of the latter are either morphine or morphine derivatives, and I am allergic to morphine.
AliStarfish
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I use buprenorphine which isn't much help!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2012, 03:04 PM
My Mom has had pain patches as at times she cannot swallow even water so taking tablets is difficult. The pain patches she had worked very well.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
I haven't heard of pain patches tbh, hope you are ok Malka, *hug*

Hot soaks in a dead sea salt bath are great - though I know that's not practical for you
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2012, 05:39 PM
What about the painkilling gel? Ibuprofen gel is very good, I've used it myself. Sorry, never heard of any over the counter pain patches, only the gels, but they do work. Hope you're not suffering too much grandma.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I haven't heard of pain patches tbh, hope you are ok Malka, *hug*

Hot soaks in a dead sea salt bath are great - though I know that's not practical for you
Not practical and not possible as I do not have a bathtub!

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
What about the painkilling gel? Ibuprofen gel is very good, I've used it myself. Sorry, never heard of any over the counter pain patches, only the gels, but they do work. Hope you're not suffering too much grandma.
Nah - not suffering but needed to find topical help as I refuse to take strong pain-killers and the only pain patches available are prescription only and are morphine/morphine derivatives. A total no-no for me.

I just wondered whether anyone had tried pain patches and if so whether they worked, mainly because I bought some from iHerb [where I get all Pereg's and my vitamins and supplements] and they actually did give some relief. And I wondered whether it was maybe a psychological pain relief or whether anyone else had found relief from similar patches.

I guess it is similar to something like Ibuprofen gel or other such gels/creams, but in patches instead of a rub on/in gel.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Has anyone used pain patches and do they work? I am more interested in OTC pain patches than prescription ones as most of the latter are either morphine or morphine derivatives, and I am allergic to morphine.
Not sure why you are seeking.. The main reason patches re used is to sidetrack the digestive system. They don't work any better than oral, The other alternative if it is that oral meds are affecting your stomach adversely is suppositories.

You are meaning codeine I think when you speak of morphine derivatives,. ( question mark not working)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-12-2012, 07:51 PM
I do not mean codeine when I talk about morphine derivatives, what I mean are opiods, and I am not looking for strong or general painkillers. I just wondered if anyone had tried using a patch to help ease local pain, very similar to a rub-in pain ease gel but which can be stuck on to provide localised ease in specific places for a number of hours instead of having to be rubbed on/in.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 07:49 AM
I have known a few elderly ladies I have cared for to use pain patches with great success. However they may well have been morphine based ones, I am not sure.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

03-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I have known a few elderly ladies I have cared for to use pain patches with great success. However they may well have been morphine based ones, I am not sure.
You can cut out the "elderly" about me Bev as I refuse to acknowledge my age! It is just that I got these patches to try and they seem to be reasonably effective, so I wondered if anyone else had tried something similar with success of whether it was maybe just psychological.

The patches are just a topical analgesic, Camphor, Menthol, and Methyl Salicylate.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >