Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2012, 09:31 PM

Barking coughs

Has anyone had this horrible long-lasting cough that seems to be going around?

Both OH and my 6-year-old seem to have it - a non-productive barking cough that has persisted for weeks.

I remember the same cough last year too and you can hear it in supermarkets etc.

Any suggestions for treatments? I've just started to give them honey/honey & lemon.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2012, 09:34 PM
My OH and son have had it for about 2 months now I'm convinced its whooping cough as for the first 2 or 3 weeks they would almost pass out during coughing fits

Nothing seems to help
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Ah you too? I have wondered about whooping cough. There is no 'whoop' in our case, but I think that is more common in babies?

I hope your family get over it soon.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Have you guys looked at Goldenseal Root? http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-goldenseal.html It should not be taken for more than two weeks tho.

I would also look into organic tea tree oil in candle burners - in all rooms if possible. I also put a few drops on the back of the pillow or the same time. And use Manuka honey as antibacterial wash (but swallow lol) to get rid of any germs that might be lingering in the mouth and throat.

Carole
Supervisor

04-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Yes thats true you don't always get the whoop so its anyones guess whether its whooping cough or just a normal cough. But with there being an epidemic at the moment its a real risk.
Carole
Supervisor

04-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Have you guys looked at Goldenseal Root? http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-goldenseal.html It should not be taken for more than two weeks tho.

I would also look into organic tea tree oil in candle burners - in all rooms if possible. I also put a few drops on the back of the pillow or the same time. And use Manuka honey as antibacterial wash (but swallow lol) to get rid of any germs that might be lingering in the mouth and throat.

Looks interesting Azz They are over the worst now so will keep the honey in mind for the future.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks Azz - I hadn't heard of that.

I got some Manuka honey today. Carys doesn't like honey but she's giving it a go, bless her.
Meg
Supervisor

04-11-2012, 11:16 PM
It sounds like Croup which I used to get every winter as a child, this produces a barking cough. It is mainly children who get this though.

There is whooping cough around too, 10 babies have died so far this year. I also had whooping cough as a child and though this would have provided immunity for life but apparently not you can get it again as an adult.

The respiratory nurse I see has recommended Manuka honey for a cough but says it should really be over 15% to obtain the best effect .

Ginger and lemon syrup is good too, I like Rocks Organic Ginger Cordial and frequently make my own.
And of course drinking lots of fluids .
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks Mini - I got 15% today.