Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Does this constitute harm to yourself

So was just round seeing Mum and Dad. Got a look at the middle finger of Mum's hand. It's swollen to the point where the ring she wears on that finger is through the skin and into the bone. The finger looks like a small balloon and the swelling is going up her arm so her watch is too tight as well. There's no smell of gangrene but it's looking bloody horrible, the flesh round the ring is black and looking necrotic.

Dad has been trying to get her to go to the docs, she refuses, I, to put it bluntly was furious and told her that she will lose the finger and eventually her arm or worse. Her attitude...oh well, one less thing to worry about!

My question is this, is this enough to constitute harm to herself so I can call a doc and forcibly make her get treatment?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 02:15 PM
I think you need to seek advice it sounds as though this is just a symptom of an underlying problem.
chicky123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Good grief,get her to A&E as soon as poss,she needs attention quickly imo...
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-11-2012, 04:04 PM
I would think it was urgent too... but if she is unwilling could social services help?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-11-2012, 04:58 PM
My mother DIED whilst I was trying to convince Social Services to get her into residential care!!! On the Friday the Case Worker told me that she was quite capable of living in sheltered housing with 4 visits a day from carers, on the Sunday she had a fall and was admitted to hospital, where she stayed, she kept getting out of bed and falling again, they told me the sides of the bed were up but she kept crawling down to the bottom and getting out that way. Towards the end of January Social Services rang my brother and his wife (obviously couldn't face me) and told them she would be being discharged into residential care and they wanted to call a family meeting, I was amazed because my mother couldn't even feed herself by this time, Sunday night I got a call from the hospital to say better come quick, so I did, stayed there till late Sunday night, I got the call early Monday morning to say she'd passed over - if they had listened to me in the first place she would have gone into residential and been safe and not had the fall!!!
Best of luck, you'll need it!!!!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Can you go and have a chat with her doctor yourself and see what he/she says.
They may be able to call her in saying she is due a general checkup and then take a look at it then.
Or if your mum has to go for regular treatment at the doctors then if they are aware they could make a point of looking at it.
Something does need to be done as she could end up losing the finger or worse still her hand and arm, especially if her arm is also sweling now it shows it is spreading up there.
Could she be behaving how she is because she is scared, would she go to A&E if you accompanied her.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Goodness, from your description this really is rather urgent isn't it.

I agree with Madmare.........if your mum refuses to seek help herself, then you need to talk to her doctor and explain what is going on fully; she might be angry with you for interferring but that is better than letting this situation go on for even a day longer.

Good luck.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 09:27 PM
The problem is mum wouldn't let the doc past the doorstep the last time we tried that. Unfortunately because of her mental illness it is not possible to convince her to change.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-11-2012, 09:41 PM
If she is mentally ill then you can overule her, there is also a ruling about a 'place of safety' if she is causing harm to herself by her actions you can take control of the situation