Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 03:13 PM

Fetch!

Do your dogs retrieve the toys you throw for them?? Or do they wonder up to them and find something else more interesting??

Millie retrieves for a bit and then looks at me like if you can't hang on to it don't throw it!

but if we are in the park their are just far too many distracted for her to care about games o.0''
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 03:25 PM
My dogs love retrieving and one would do it all day.

Your dog finds the smells and odours more interesting than retrieving and you cannot motivate a dog to do something if the environment offers a bigger reinforcement than you do.

So you need to make the task of retrieving much more rewarding if you are to have more engagement with your dog.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Rosie is 17 weeks and is a natural 'retriever' . She's been bringing back her toys from the first week we had her and it's one of her very favourite games (along with tug and chase me)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2012, 03:31 PM
All mine love to retrieve, they have size and weight appropriate toys and would happily retrieve all day long but I only use it at intervals throughout the walk. Even my Pug loves to retrieve although her favourite things to retrieve are my crocs and my flip flops.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Louie gets bored after a while - which is why we do 3 and then walk on a bit, then 3 more.. but then it is a little more than just drop it at my feet, I expect steadiness and straight and a front when he does retrieves (I say expect, I'm only just getting them)

Sadie would do a 20 mile run with me (Me on a bike) and when we got home, she'd pick up her ball. She can play ball for hours if we let her.

Benjie - he's a "you threw it, you fetch it" dog
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Louie gets bored after a while - which is why we do 3 and then walk on a bit, then 3 more.. but then it is a little more than just drop it at my feet, I expect steadiness and straight and a front when he does retrieves (I say expect, I'm only just getting them)

Sadie would do a 20 mile run with me (Me on a bike) and when we got home, she'd pick up her ball. She can play ball for hours if we let her.

Benjie - he's a "you threw it, you fetch it" dog
Benjie sounds like Millie ^^
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Ollie has now been taught the perfect fetch, 5 steps, 1 sit at heel as ball is thrown 2 wait till told to get ball 3 return straight to handler and sit 4 hand the ball to handler 5 cross behind and sit in heel. He will continue to do this till I stop the game.

Cara looks at you like you are nuts for throwing a ball, some times will chase it never brings it back lol
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Ben let's the collies fetch it, waits till they drop it 5m from us then he brings it back the last little bit
Not so dumb, the treats are in the last bit

MIA kind of, but if its something really nice she might try and bury it, or make other dogs chase her

If I just have one of them they bring it back most of the time, well something back, not always what I chucked if there is something nicer to bring back
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Both Flynn and Jessie would retrieve all day, both are bonkers for it and will ignore everything else. Jed doesnt care for fetching toys and will only do it if there is a treat involved. Even then he trots to it, looks at me as if to make sure I really want him to fetch it and begrudgingly brings it back. In training class he's slightly more enthusiastic than out on the park.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 05:11 PM
kiara will retrieve for as long as you're willing to throw Poppy will for a bit then just not bother, she much prefers the chase
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >