Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Fetch!

Bentley is 8 months old and will fetch a couple of cuddle toys and bring them back to me when we are inside in the evenings. I am trying to get him to fetch a ball and it's not working. He runs after it but will stop half way back to lye down and chew it
If he knows I have treats he will leave the ball and not come back at all! Any tips on what i can do?
I've got a knee injury and all the walking is starting to take its toll so i'm hoping that I can throw a ball to help expel some of his energy!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Are you saying that if you have treats he doesn't come back to you at all, or that he just won't bring the ball back? If the latter, you just have to get him to understand that he only he only gets a treat when he actually gives you the ball. I taught Stumpy this by giving her the ball, then taking it back and giving her a treat.

If treats don't work, have you tried two balls, or a combination of toys? Perhaps the ball to throw and a tuggy toy to whirl round and encourage him back to you?
Val H
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2010, 12:36 PM
With a reluctant retriever (fetcher) it's best to 'back chain' so you teach the last part of the behaviour first - as mentioned in the previous post.Start by just asking your dog to hold the ball, then treat when he puts it back into your hand. When he is confident doing this, put the ball on the floor, ask him to pick it up and put it in your hand, treat. Drop it on the floor, pick up, return to hand, treat and so on, gradually increasing the distance that it is 'dropped' or thrown. In this way the dog is always going into a behaviour he understands.

If he is happy to pick up a cuddly toy indoors, then try a cuddly toy outdoors or teach him to pick up the ball indoors as well before trying him outdoors. He probably just doesn't understand what you want and - if he is used to chewing a ball rather than picking it up - this is what he will do (no matter how far away it is when he reaches it lol)

If he doesn't like to fetch you could always increase his exercise by teaching him to 'touch' (a tree, fence post etc) so you can stand still and shuttle him between you and the target - rewarding him with a treat or game he does like (perhaps tuggie) when he returns to you.

Have fun!

Val
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 01:18 PM
If you tried simply walking off, would he follow you with the ball or leave it where he dropped it and follow you?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Try sitting playing with a tuggy or a ball on a rope. When he offers it, don`t take it, have an exciting game instead. So giving you something doesn`t mean the end of fun but the beginning.
When he`s happy giving you stuff, throw it a little way. Again, have a nice play when he offers it.
When he`s got the idea, you can try introducing a reward instead of a play sometimes.
A guy who had gundogs showed me this method and it works with mine.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies and sorry for the delay getting back!
you just have to get him to understand that he only he only gets a treat when he actually gives you the ball. I taught Stumpy this by giving her the ball, then taking it back and giving her a treat.
Start by just asking your dog to hold the ball, then treat when he puts it back into your hand. When he is confident doing this, put the ball on the floor, ask him to pick it up and put it in your hand, treat.
hmmm....when he gets the ball he runs off with it so there is no opportunity to treat him for giving it back to me. I tried again at the weekend and he did it once then the second time was gone

If you tried simply walking off, would he follow you with the ball or leave it where he dropped it and follow you?
He drops the ball and follows me. This morning he found a tennis ball on our walk (very exciting!!) The game he wants to play is chase, I chase him to get the ball I walked away in an attempt to get him to come to me with the ball but he just left it, I sent him back 'get the ball' and he went to it, but lay down with it again ready for 'the chase'!

Try sitting playing with a tuggy or a ball on a rope. When he offers it, don`t take it, have an exciting game instead. So giving you something doesn`t mean the end of fun but the beginning.
He nudges my hand to get me to play tug, is that what you mean?

I've tried taking the cuddly toys outside but he runs off with them rather than bringing them back. How do I make the transition from inside to out?? I really thought we'd have it mastered by now! Thank you for all your advice
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Tessa have you seen this video Azz posted by the Dogs Trust demonstrating 'Fetch' I think it is number 13

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=127126
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2010, 02:19 PM
could you try keeping him on a long line so he cant run off so you can give him some gentle encouragement to come back to you with the ball? Also I would say don't take the ball off him immediately after he brings it back to you as he might just get miffed that you keep taking it so lots of praise for bringing it back first then exchange for a treat and play a game or throw again if he enjoys it.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 02:50 PM
I teach it as a seperate excercise with a different word and I don't use the word until I know the dog understands 100%.

So I backchain using a clicker ---usually in the bathroom and using a cardboard tube (which abound in bathrooms!). Then gradually move it outside.

It takes ages but is worth it.

rune