Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2018, 07:20 PM
My correction 6th one down the crate and it's uses
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Jeez it's not hard to find.... click on dog articles (next to new posts)

Read down the list and it's about the 5th one down.

crate training by Shadowboxer
Thank you for your helpful response.
I got to the dispensing of the crate part.

A crate need not be a permanent fixture. Once good toilet habits are instilled and the chewing stage is past then leave the crate door open and see how things go at night, or when someone is around during the day, or when he is very briefly left alone. If all goes well and he seems reliable then the crate can be removed.
So not necessarily permanent even according to that article supporting their use.

We did all the training suggested by that article to try to get Max comfortable in it Yet, in your words, I failed to train him properly. He didn't take to it. In the event

As it happens, we had none of the issues that a crate/cage the article suggests it might be helpful with. None of the dogs I grew up with did either.

Just to be clear about this, I accept that some dog owners may find them helpful. Most or many? I dunno.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Did anyone claim they needed to be permanent? Some people may choose to use them permanently but that's up to them.
Dog training has changed immensely in many ways over your lifetime though what is commonplace today was unheard of when you were growing up.
It's fairly evident crates are very popular these days just by the number of threads about them on any dog forum.
So not only do many owners buy and use them there are many dogs who like them too. The way WinstonZ spoke and you agreed with is not the way most people use a crate in this country, most people love their dogs and want what is best for them. His post and your agreement completely hijacked the Original posters thread and yet offered nothing useful. Great if you'd both come up with an array of viable alternatives but there were none. It's unfair for anyone to have their thread hijacked let alone a new member asking for advice. So if you accept many owners find them helpful what was the point of dissing them? It wasn't a thread asking for people's opinion of crates, they were looking for advice.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-03-2018, 10:47 PM
It's fairly evident crates are very popular these days just by the number of threads about them on any dog forum.
So not only do many owners buy and use them
I know only one owner who has one and that's the crate/cage we gave her.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2018, 11:55 PM
It's pretty obvious that some people use cages and some don't. It's pretty obvious that the original poster on this thread has been scared off by the personal bickering that has taken over the thread so perhaps this thread can now, unfortunately, be closed.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-03-2018, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It's pretty obvious that some people use cages and some don't.
That's exactly the point I have been politely trying to get across.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2018, 12:46 AM
Reasons for using metal crates for dogs.

A lot depends on what you do with your dogs. I never used crates for my Goldens, but have used them since starting with toy breeds in 1970. They are by far the safest way of transporting small to medium sized dogs to shows etc., and smaller breeds are usually much safer, and more relaxed on their show benches when housed in their own crates. Though just about KC legal, fabric crates cannot be trusted, and their use needs to be under constant supervision.
Most dogs will, at some time, need to spend time at the vet's premises. Being crate trained lessens any stress that a dog is bound to feel when left for a procedure, in a surgical crate.
A roomy, comfortable, draughtproofed crate, makes an excellent first home for a puppy. It is a place of refuge, where a puppy can rest, away from small prying fingers, and where chewing can be restricted to items provided, rather than table legs etc.
Crating is also a great help during housetraining, and is invaluable for older dogs which may have become incontinent.

Having said this, my two dogs do not live in crates. They have the choice of two 30" lined plastic beds, a 36" fake fur covered memory foam mattress, and an open 30" crate. Apart from the memory foam, (which they love as it is in front of a large radiator), they do not discriminate between the others, and any serious chewing activity is more likely to take place in the crate.

I really can not understand why this thread provoked such a tirade about the use of crates. They are simply a piece of professional dog equipment which an owner can either choose to use - or not. I am far more concerned that our dogs see their crates as comfortable resting places, and they are not incorrectly used.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
Reasons for using metal crates for dogs.

A lot depends on what you do with your dogs. I never used crates for my Goldens, but have used them since starting with toy breeds in 1970. They are by far the safest way of transporting small to medium sized dogs to shows etc., and smaller breeds are usually much safer, and more relaxed on their show benches when housed in their own crates. Though just about KC legal, fabric crates cannot be trusted, and their use needs to be under constant supervision.
Most dogs will, at some time, need to spend time at the vet's premises. Being crate trained lessens any stress that a dog is bound to feel when left for a procedure, in a surgical crate.
A roomy, comfortable, draughtproofed crate, makes an excellent first home for a puppy. It is a place of refuge, where a puppy can rest, away from small prying fingers, and where chewing can be restricted to items provided, rather than table legs etc.
Crating is also a great help during housetraining, and is invaluable for older dogs which may have become incontinent.

Having said this, my two dogs do not live in crates. They have the choice of two 30" lined plastic beds, a 36" fake fur covered memory foam mattress, and an open 30" crate. Apart from the memory foam, (which they love as it is in front of a large radiator), they do not discriminate between the others, and any serious chewing activity is more likely to take place in the crate.

I really can not understand why this thread provoked such a tirade about the use of crates. They are simply a piece of professional dog equipment which an owner can either choose to use - or not. I am far more concerned that our dogs see their crates as comfortable resting places, and they are not incorrectly used.
I agree with your points above. The reason I got involved is because of incorrect statements that were made. And I got abuse for pointing them out. Abuse that was not reciprocated I might add.

Crates have their uses, transport being one and that's why we got one. In the event, we didn't use it. After thinking about it, we decided it wouldn't be fair to subject our dog to a 9-hour transatlantic flight in a crate in the hold.

You say your dogs don't sleep in their crates and I'm sure that's the case for others and then there are the dogs who don't have crates anyway.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Right you wouldn't shut a dog in but you'd cage a wild animal, and that's not cruel because?
Did I ever claim that????
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2018, 07:20 AM
I wanted my dog to use a crate... But he grew out of the one I got and the giant ones are expensive and so I decided against the crate. He used to lay on my bed but he got too big for that. No he lays only on the floor. Better than the hard ground outside.

Crates aren't that bad, our Jade loved hers. Whenever she got grumpy or scared... She would just go to it and go inside. She wanted no other animals near it either. It was hers. The door was almost never closed on it. It can depend on the dog.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4