Our sister sites
Our sister sites
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2006, 10:41 PM

Dogs In Shelters

Hi all
went to our local shelter today and I was shocked there were some stunning dogs in there, an akita, a couple of rotties, a blue merle collie , staffies (pups), a springer that brought me her squeaky bone and looked at me with such anticipation, and a fully trained companion dog, a lab .. which appears to have "failed" it's last exam and is now in the pound All under 12 mnths old.. It may show my naivety but I am really shocked at the way these poor dogs seem to be so "disposable" clearly people wanted them enough to pay good money for them..and now... too energetic.. .. escapes from garden, are good reasons to send them to the RSPCA?!?!?! It is so sad, if only people researched their "choosen" breed before rushing in to buying a puppy that out grows their family so fast, they end up in the pound at 6mnths old..
sad, sad, sad

Rachel
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Yep it's truly heartbreaking, I think some of these people just treat dogs as possesions.

If it's useless/annoying then get rid.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 01:22 AM
It is really sad to see some of the reasons dogs are taken to rescue centres I saw one that was there because it kept jumping over the 4 ft fence and escaping I wish people would really think before getting a dog.

But since I am rehoming bailey at the moment I would like to add that it is such a hard thing to do and no matter how much you prepare it can still go wrong. Some of those people are probably heart broken at having to give up their dog when it's boisterousness got too much for them. I think sometimes the reality of a dog is comletely different to what you learn about them. And all dogs are different, even within a breed.
Just wanted to say that, because it is easy to judge people without knowing the whole story People will probably think the same about me when they see lovely Bailey in a cage with a little note
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm afraid we live in a 'throw away society'.

Most pedigree breeds have a breed rescue organisation, some through the breed clubs and some independant. I noticed that you pointed out the pedigree breeds in the shelter, if the RSPCA would work with breed rescues each of those dogs could make way for another less fortunate dog. Even rare breeds or very expensive breeds need a breed rescue, Tollers, which are a relatively unknown breed has three branches of rescue!! Pedigree breeds are often re-homed into unsuitable homes through general rescues purely because the new owners have gone to the shelter looking for a dog, probably wanting a cross breed of some kind, they see a pedigree dog, 'fancy' that dog and there it goes, into a home that knows nothing about the breed requirements.

There are 35 branches of Boxer rescue in the breed rescue directory, not to mention the ones that are not in it, there are at least three Boxer Rescues that I know of that are not in the breed rescue directory (by their own choice),and 40 branches of Labrador Rescue. All of the more popular breed rescues are kept very busy re-homing unwanted dogs. The majority of these dogs have cost, originally, in excess of £350, some have been way more expensive than that. I must add - the primary reason for dogs coming into (our) rescue is Marriage/relationship breakup and the second most common reason is 'work hours'. More often than not these dogs are not problem dogs. Neopolitan Mastiffs are a breed that can cost in excess of £1000 and often finish up in general rescues as there is no breed rescue for them, we, as Boxer Rescue, have just re-homed a beautiful 6 month old Neo puppy!!

When I was a kid, many moons ago, not many people had pedigree dogs - they simply could not afford them, nowadays there is more money about and the designer image says that many people want the latest accessories and that unfortunately includes the family dog!! When the fashions change so do the dogs!!!It is a sad fact of life.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-07-2006, 10:54 AM
What REALLY gets up my nose is these 'novelty factor' folk...they get a puppy because its cute, or an in fashion breed....they have NO idea how to bring these dogs up..so then decide they've had enough so dump the poor dog!
I may be wrong but IMO a lot of the pedigree breeds that end up in shelters owe a lot of the reason they are there to their breeder-sometimes certain breeders really don't vet the prospective owners enough..not saying all as their are plenty of wonderful, caring breeders out there-but in all truth for every caring breeder there are probably about five money makers!!
People see a cute puppy...but don't THINK about in a mere few months what the dog may grow into...and sometimes people give in to easily, i heard of a collie pup put in rescue because it chewed the sofa!!!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 11:10 AM
i can't go to rescue centres,i would be in tears when i got my last dog i found him via the internet and picked him up from a dog fosterers(is that a word?)house so luckily i was spared.i hate the fact that people just get rid of their dogs and i hate people who get dogs who haven't the faintest idea about them and put no effort into bettering their knowledge
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2006, 11:48 AM
I had to put my two dogs and two cats into a shelter years ago, I was living in at my job and out of the blue....no notice at all the company folded and I was laid off, no job and nowhere to live, my pets initially went to stay with various friends, even my daughter had to go and stay with another friend 150 miles away and I lived in my car for about a month, I managed to get a room to rent temporarily but they wouldnt allow my pets so they went into a no kill shelter, I knew the people who operated it otherwise they wouldnt have taken them......I was hoping that by the time I found an apartment that no one would have adopted them....I had to agree to let them be adopted by the shelter or they wouldnt have taken them....both my cats were adopted (posh house in Bel Air and they stayed together) and my Cocker mix....a regular dog walker at the shelter adopeted him, by the time I got my apartment I only got my Whippet back.

You just never know the reason why dogs are handed over. And before anyone says they would have had their pets live in the car with them...were talking a Southern California summer, its not only illegal to do that its a death sentence for the pet. It only take about 10 minutes for the inside of a car to get up to 120+ F.

(I only mentioned that because I have been put down and critisized before by some for putting my pets in a shelter "when I could have kept them in the car with me")
Pinx
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by novavizz
I'm afraid we live in a 'throw away society'.

Most pedigree breeds have a breed rescue organisation, some through the breed clubs and some independant. I noticed that you pointed out the pedigree breeds in the shelter, if the RSPCA would work with breed rescues each of those dogs could make way for another less fortunate dog. Even rare breeds or very expensive breeds need a breed rescue, Tollers, which are a relatively unknown breed has three branches of rescue!! .
Sorry to bust in on the thread, but could you point me in the direction of the Toller rescues.

Thanks.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Pinx
Sorry to bust in on the thread, but could you point me in the direction of the Toller rescues.

Thanks.

Have pm'd you - Karen
Pinx
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by novavizz
Have pm'd you - Karen

Thanks Karen, info much appreiciated. We are considering a Toller for our next pooch.

ps) Tried to PM you to say thanks, but it wouldn't go through.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >