View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 11:40 AM

blackie's toilet problem (does not lift leg to urinate - should I be concerned?)

blackie - a 15 mth old castrated male does not lift his leg to go toilet. i forgot to ask the vet about this last week when we went for his boosters but is it something he will do or something i should be worried about???
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 11:46 AM
No I wouldn't worry about it Blackies mum - in my experience some dogs do and some don't. My German Shepherd nearly always sat down for a wee all his life and very rarely lifted his leg.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi,
I'm not an expert but i don't think it's anything to worry about,some dogs just can't be bothered,some dogs do if they are around bitches to(we had one that was brought up around bitches and he very rarely used to lift his leg)
Sal
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Well, if my old greyhound is anything to go by, it's perfectly ok. Jeremy always peed like a bitch He was also castrated, and 10 years old when he went to the bridge
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I dont think it's anything to worry about. My 3.5 yr old lab only lifts his leg when he is peeing up somthing ie a lampost or when a bitch is very nearby. The rest of the time he neither cocks his leg nor does he squat like a bitch - he just stand there like a lazy wotzit! He simply stretches his back legs out a bit and wees to his hearts content.
Lazy lazy dog.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum
blackie - a 15 mth old castrated male does not lift his leg to go toilet. i forgot to ask the vet about this last week when we went for his boosters but is it something he will do or something i should be worried about???

Hi Blackies Mum don't worry, some male dogs don't ever learn to lift their legs, this is more likely to be the case if they have been castrated quite young .

During adolescence the surge of male hormones is partially responsible for a dog cocking its leg, doing so enables it to scent mark and to attract bitches,if a dog is castrated before reaching adolescence it will never experience the hormone surge .
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum

Hi Blackie's Mum,

There's nothing to worry about.

My Labrador is 12 now, when he was a pup he used to lean forward to wee, then he learned to lift his leg, but he never bothered ! He has always put two paws further in front of him and leant forward to wee.

I thought it was odd at first, but it's just what he prefers.

Regards

Radar
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Same her - my boy Sweep is 10 yrs and has never lifted his leg
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Sweep
Same her - my boy Sweep is 10 yrs and has never lifted his leg

I wonder if it is a thing that a lot of Labradors/Retreivers do then Sweep !!

Radar
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Radar Ears
I wonder if it is a thing that a lot of Labradors/Retreivers do then Sweep !!

Radar
I wish it was Jill Don't know who taught Pip, but it's a pain if he 'goes' in the night indoors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >