Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Charlotte
New Member!
Female 

20-01-2015, 01:27 PM

Post Op dog refuses to urinate - please help

My dog just had knee surgery and can't go outside. I put down wee wee pads but she refuses to use them. Sunday after an entire day and night, she finally peed at 4:00 a.m. when she could not longer hold it in. How do I persuade her to do her business inside?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Hello Diane when I have had postoperative dogs I have always carried them out to relieve themselves .
With larger dogs a towel can be used as a sling with two people lifting .
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2015, 03:10 PM
How many steps are there for her to go outside? Maybe building a ramp will help get her outdoors to relieve herself. I wouldn't encourage her going indoors if she is already housetrained to go outside. It might bring on some problems when she is feeling better and give mixed messages with where to go.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2015, 07:02 PM
I would try the above and perhaps call the vet for advice too. It can't be good for her health to hold it in like that either. If she's a big girl I know carrying her can't be easy but unless there's deep snow it's better to keep her outside trained. Hoping she has a speedy recovery!

Callie will need the same surgery eventually. Carrying him around will either get me ripped or in need of the paramedics...
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2015, 08:03 PM
My dog has just had knee surgery we were told we were allowed to take her outside just to relieve herself then straight back and she was to be kept on lead. ( my dog has had patella surgery but we were told the same when she had crutiate surgery hope that helps )
Miss Charlotte
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2015, 01:40 AM
Thank you for your responses. I'm a senior citizen and unable to carry her. I will try the towel. She would have to go down three steps to get to the outside. She's always been a problem dog. She could never be crated and adamantly refused to ever potty outside (go figure). I think she was probably caged indoors as a pup and did her business inside. Luckily she got used to using the pads by going down to the basement which is about 12 steps. She held it in but did eventually use the pads on the first floor. It was a veritable tsunami when she eventually went. If I use the towel I can put wee wee pads on the grass and see if she'll go for it. Thanks again.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2015, 09:08 AM
I used a leash when my guy had hurt his leg. This kept him from running all over the place. He is 90 lbs so no way can I carry him. My arms would fall off. My brother did carry him up the stairs when he was limping badly.

I'd certainly not encourage the dog to potty inside. A 90 lb dog trying to potty on pads would likely make a giant (and disgusting) mess, anyway. Be sure to reward when she goes potty where she's supposed to.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Hold on. I read the other post by the op, and now I'm confused. She said the dog only goes on wee pads inside in her basement in her first thread, and now she is saying that the dog won't do her business inside and refuses to use the pads that the op said she always uses. Huh?

So the dog had the knee operation she said she wasn't going to do, and now a problem that seems impossible has cropped up. Did I miss something, or are the op's posts lacking consistency?
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-01-2015, 09:38 AM
Pads used are in the basement, now she needs her to use them upstairs.
Miss Charlotte
New Member!
Female 

23-01-2015, 01:24 AM
Charlie had her surgery on Sunday. And yes, she always pottied in the basement but must now go upstairs on the first level. Today she finally got it. I hope it doesn't pose a problem later on. Thank you all for your interest.