View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
justineportia21
New Member!
Female 

26-03-2013, 06:46 PM

Dog pulling during walk and not listening, HELP!!

I have a 16 month old Rotti Shepard named Portia. She is beautiful and super friendly, and VERY smart. She was house trained within a week, everyone in my family loves her. Lately she has been chewing paper, socks, hats, basically anything she can grab, which she has not done since she was a puppy.
I thought I havent been excersing her enough but i take her on two runs a day, plus my moms boyfriend walks her once or twice, plus we play in the backyard and fetch in the house and run up and down stairs.
I feel I have to run with her because she PULLS me on our walks, she has knocked me down a few times too (we are close to the same weight). I want to be able to take her on relaxing walks and take her to the beach but I can't do that.
I have tried everything ! please help, her pulling during walks and not listening to me is the biggest thing.
Also, is her getting at everything related to not enough excersize? please help me !
Thank you
Wild storm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Hi, I have a dog walking service and come across a few dogs that pull. Walking is good but mental stimulation is even better. During my walks i give out commands at random etc wait, sit, stay..This makes the dog focus on you instead on everything else. A halti is good for the training. Also, if your dog begins to pull do a U-turn with 10 steps then turn again, everytime you do this it will teach the dog there is a consequence for the pulling
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Has she been spayed? I only ask because her 'new' behaviour could be due to her hormones and possibly a season. If she has been spayed ..... forget the above

Has she always been walked on a normal lead or a flexi lead. A flexi lead teaches a dog to pull as they know that if they pull the can get further. If she's always been walked on a normal length lead ...... forget the above

One of my two can be a 'puller' and I either stop dead and wait until he turns to look at me to see why I've stopped or at least relaxes on the lead before walking forward again, or I'll turn round and walk in the opposite direction. A bit unfair for his brother who isn't a puller though.

Good luck.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2013, 08:22 PM
I am afraid that I cannot help you as I do not "walk" my dog, but I am sure you will get lots of helpful advice from others. In the meantime

Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Wild storm View Post
Hi, I have a dog walking service and come across a few dogs that pull. Walking is good but mental stimulation is even better. During my walks i give out commands at random etc wait, sit, stay..This makes the dog focus on you instead on everything else. A halti is good for the training. Also, if your dog begins to pull do a U-turn with 10 steps then turn again, everytime you do this it will teach the dog there is a consequence for the pulling
^^That's what I do too. I also begin to teach the "watch me" command indoors and eventually use it outside where there are more distractions.
I currently have a foster dog who was a serious puller too. I kept doing the u-turns and use a gentle leader. He's much more manageable to walk now.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Oh that 'Watch Me!' was one of the best things I learned from Dogsey.

Bella used to be a bit of a pain when getting into the lift. She would walk in and turn and start to walk out again while I was pressing buttons and before the doors closed!

So, I practised the WATCH ME with her indoors and then, as soon as we both walked into the lift and before she could turn I would say WATCH ME and she stopped and looked at me while the doors closed. So much better than making sure I kept her lead tight enough that she couldn't walk back out again (it's a small space) and more important when returning and me loaded up with bags and bits and trying to keep the lead tight at the same time as press buttons!

Even tho I now don't even have to put her lead on for the lift or until we get to the road - I still practise it with her in the lift and she will now respond to it other times too.

A very simple, easy to learn, and VERY useful one that is.
Wild storm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-03-2013, 12:47 PM
It takes alot of work but the end result is always worth it when your dog isnt using you as a human sled haha
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2013, 01:11 PM
What motivation does she have to pull?
What motivation does she have to stay by your side?

(theses are rhetorical question, I hope they help)
justineportia21
New Member!
Female 

27-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wild storm View Post
I will def try this ! Thank you
justineportia21
New Member!
Female 

27-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Has she been spayed? I only ask because her 'new' behaviour could be due to her hormones and possibly a season. If she has been spayed ..... forget the above

Has she always been walked on a normal lead or a flexi lead. A flexi lead teaches a dog to pull as they know that if they pull the can get further. If she's always been walked on a normal length lead ...... forget the above

One of my two can be a 'puller' and I either stop dead and wait until he turns to look at me to see why I've stopped or at least relaxes on the lead before walking forward again, or I'll turn round and walk in the opposite direction. A bit unfair for his brother who isn't a puller though.

Good luck.
She is not spayed yet. I never even thought of that, because yes she does act weird when she is going into her heat cycles but I feel like she just had one !

When she was a puppy I never used a flexi leash but recently thats all I can use unless i wanna get knocked down (not even kidding)

Do you think if I fix her she will calm down a bit ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >