Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Henry0531
New Member!
Female 

15-07-2012, 02:07 PM

Biting ankles

I adopted a Maltese dog about a year ago, He is a love but lately he will attack it has been all mens ankles. I need advice how do I stop this . He is very protected of me, he was crate trained all is life. When I took him I stopped crate right away. I am going to get a soft muzzled today. I need help , I just don't know when he will attack. He loves children and women. but not men......Please any suggestions?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi
well done for rescuing him.
Soft muzzles are not good - really they should only be used for vet examinations. The dog can actually nip if the muzzle isn`t a bit small anyway.
Go for a `cage` type muzzle - we call them Baskerville muzzles. These allow a dog to pant so he doesn`t overheat, so they can wear them when exercising.
For the ankle-biting - what I would do is to work on his overall training and to keep him on the lead around people. He will never learn to love everyone - but you can train him to ignore them and to listen to you.
This site would be useful to you, I think?
http://functionalrewards.com/
Henry0531
New Member!
Female 

15-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Hi
well done for rescuing him.
Soft muzzles are not good - really they should only be used for vet examinations. The dog can actually nip if the muzzle isn`t a bit small anyway.
Go for a `cage` type muzzle - we call them Baskerville muzzles. These allow a dog to pant so he doesn`t overheat, so they can wear them when exercising.
For the ankle-biting - what I would do is to work on his overall training and to keep him on the lead around people. He will never learn to love everyone - but you can train him to ignore them and to listen to you.
This site would be useful to you, I think?
http://functionalrewards.com/
Thanks I will check out the other muzzle. Could it be he is overprotected over me?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Maltese are not a guarding breed so he`s more likely protecting himself.
Even with a guarding breed, you wouldn`t allow the dog to continue with this antisocial behaviour, though.
There`s a good exercise called `Watch Me` that I use a lot with new dogs. Hold a treat up your face. When the dog looks, say watch me and give the treat. Do it often and repeat till the dog automatically looks at you - in any circumstances.
Having got his attention, you can now ask for a sit or another behaviour that is incompatible with ankle-biting.
Henry0531
New Member!
Female 

16-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Went to Pet smart today with Henry's biting I have Henry on a training class to help me with his problem. My husband and I will attend with a trainer to deal with his biting. Please wish me luck I love this dog so much..................
forget the muzzle trainer said it will only make him worse off , better to train him on behaviour. befor muzzleing my dog.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 05:14 AM
A muzzle will not teach your dog anything, only prevent him the behaviour, which will resume when you remove the muzzle.

I think using a good, reputable trainer/behaviourist will be a good idea.