Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twiglet422
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2009, 09:22 AM

Introdusing new doglet to scary horses!

Hi guys quick question for all you helpful wonderful people here.
As most of you know i have a new rottiex girl who is 2 years old and also have 2 big scary horses!
I was just wondering what the best way to introduce them would be.
My other girl gets on fine with them but has always been around them since a little pup, its just with keisha being so big i need to keep everyone safe.
Any ideas most welcome xx

(please excuse the spelling today!!)
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 09:42 AM
ive never had to introduce a dog to a horse, but i have to a rabbit lol. very big size difference between them i know lol. with jake, he was only 7 weeks old so i just let him and cassie meet a lot through the bars of her hutch so they got a bit familiar which each other. tbh, i was more worried about cassie hurt him than him hurting her lol, shes a big rabbit and could do a lot of damage. gradually i just opened the hutch a bit so they could sniff each other but so if anything happened it was easily to seperate them. then i just let them out completely together, cassie wasnt bothered with him lol. they get on great together now, although sometimes jakes collie comes out and he tries to herd her lol. i know thats going to be a lot more difficult with a horse though. i would just let her see them but from a distance and then gradually decrease the distance so she can get used to there size. then i would let them meet safely through a fence until you can be sure both are fine with the other

lauren
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I think I would get a friend to ride/lead one of the horses and go with you on one of your dog walks so it's neutral ground and lots of nice distractions for your girl. Your dog that's great with horses will show your new one the way to behave. You may get a lot of growling and barking to start with but persevere and keep walking (on lead of course) and I think you'll find your dog loses interest in the horse and starts to get more interested in the walk. Try to make sure when they part that it's at a good point in the walk so your girl makes positive associations. Oh and treats of course when she's walking calmly and happily next to the horse!
twiglet422
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys i will see what happens!!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I would start by having the dog round the stables, so it gets used to the smells, and the sight of the horses in there stable without contact, then just walking him round horses that are stood in the yard, when the dog is happy with them stood still head out for a walk, make sure you use horses that are very good with dogs.