Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2013, 10:40 AM

The advantages of buying medication from a Vet

Well, for me they are definitely advantages! I buy Pereg's medication from my Vet even though he would give me a [free] prescription which I could take to a pharmacy to get filled at less than he charges me - there are no online veterinary pharmacies here to which I could send the prescription so I would have to go to a regular pharmacy.

Prescription medication laws here are very strict and only one month's supply of any prescribed medication can be supplied by a pharmacy at any one time, and they require a new prescription each month. As Pereg is on Phenobarbitone, which is a barbiturate, the maximum a pharmacy could dispense on prescription is one box of 30 tablets each month, which for her is only a 20 day supply.

However, Ram will order in and supply me with as many boxes as I request [he keeps a couple of boxes in the surgery for emergency only so when I need more I phone in an order, pay by credit card over the phone, then arrange for them to be collected once he or one of the nurses phone me to say they are in. As Pereg is not due for her check-up/blood tests/shots until 19 April and I do not have sufficient pills to last until then, I phoned in an order this morning and at Ram's suggestion ordered sufficient to last until after her October check-up/blood tests to save me having to organise another pick up before then.

I think I am going to have to buy a very secure small safe, as if any of the druggies in town ever heard that I will have 360 strong barbiturates in my home...
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-02-2013, 02:00 PM
It's always beneficial to be on good terms with your vet Malak I used to buy 4 months supply at a time from mine
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Far more cost effective (usually) to get repeat meds from an online pharmacy here, but one big advantage of getting meds from the vets are when immediate treatment is needed then cost doesn't even enter into the thinking
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2013, 02:08 PM
I always get meds from vet if they are for an ailment.

Online I buy wormers and medicated shampoo shringes, things not needed urgently
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
It's always beneficial to be on good terms with your vet Malak I used to buy 4 months supply at a time from mine
It also helps when your Vet suffers from the same condition as your dog! Not so nice for him but a tremendous help for for Pereg and for me!

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Far more cost effective (usually) to get repeat meds from an online pharmacy here, but one big advantage of getting meds from the vets are when immediate treatment is needed then cost doesn't even enter into the thinking
I know, but as I said unfortunately we do not have online pharmacies so it is Vet or regular pharmacy only, and regular pharmacies will not fill a bulk prescription or even accept a recurring/repeating one. Pereg has human Phenobarbitone as Epiphen is not available here, so by letting me have as many packs as I want Ram is saving me money as this will be just one taxi pick-up cost for a 240 day supply!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
It certainly is! I took my Gem in today to have a couple of staples removed from a cut in her foot and asked if the vet could have a look at her eye as she had run into a tree (typical collie not looking where she is going!) and this morning it was a bit red and gooey looking. The vet came down, put some green stuff in her eyes so she could check the surface of the eye for cuts or ulcers and decided they were both clear and I should just keep bathing with salt water - no charge! Mind you, I'm probably one of their better customers!

I get Rowan's pheno from the vet for the same reason.