Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Oldies Club
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

28-09-2008, 08:07 PM

Ernie (Corgi)

Ernie is an 11 year old Pembroke Corgi who came into Oldies Club care in sad circumstances when his mum died and his elderly dad couldn’t care for him alone. Ernie is now in an Oldies Club foster home near Swindon in Wiltshire.

Ernie - named after Ernie Wise (short fat hairy legs!) - is a wonderful and entertaining little character. He’s a typical corgi; bright, alert and active, who loves nothing better than to play ‘fetch’ with his toys and will keep going as long as there is someone willing to throw for him.

He’s an independent little fellow, he’s not bothered about strokes and fuss but loves to be wherever people are in the house and to sit near (or preferably on) their feet and give the occasional lick and a cheeky grin! He’s always right in the centre of anything going on.

Ernie shares his foster home with five other dogs and is fine with them, but he does pretty much ignore them and do his own thing. He probably wouldn’t appreciate bouncy dogs or dogs who pestered him too much. He loves the teenage children in the household, particularly if they can be persuaded to throw a ball for him! Ernie does not like cats.

Ernie has been vet-checked and seems to be in good health, but he needs to lose a pound or two (much to his disgust!). He has a weak back leg, which appears to be a long-standing joint problem. It doesn’t appear to hurt or hamper him when he’s in the house or garden, but it means he doesn’t like going for walks and he can’t manage steps or stairs. A secure garden where he can run and a willingness to play with him and make sure he gets plenty of exercise at home is therefore a must.

Possibly because of his bad leg Ernie does not like being pulled around and in particular won’t tolerate being picked up and can throw quite an impressive tantrum if you try. His foster family are using a ramp to get him in and out of the car, which he seems quite happy with, and once in the car he settles and travels well. However, for vets visits and things like nail clipping he will need to be muzzled to be on the safe side.

Ernie is neutered, vaccinated, microchipped and flea and worm treated.

Ernie will make a wonderful addition to any household looking for a big personality in a small package!

If you would like to find out more about Ernie, please refer to our Adoption Procedures for information about the adoption process. You can then contact an Oldies Club rehoming co-ordinator as follows:

Email: rehome@oldies.org.uk
Telephone: 0844 586 8656

Ernie can be rehomed anywhere in the UK, subject to a satisfactory home visit, but please note that you will be required to travel to the foster home to meet him.
Oldies Club
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

29-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Ernie is still looking for his forever home
Oldies Club
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

31-10-2008, 10:34 PM
From Ernie's fosterer

Not a glimmer of interest in my little Ernie

I really don't understand it, he would be the most fabulous little companion for someone who wants a friend rather than a 'pet'. He doesn't do snuggly lap-dog stuff, but he loves company and being close to people, listens intently to every word you say, likes having his ears scratched (he goes all silly and wriggly), and loves his toys. Throw a ball for him and he'll be your friend for life, give him a pigs ear and he'll worship the ground you walk on, OK - there *may* be an element of self- interest in his adoration, but hey, isn't that the same for all of us, he's just more honest about it than most!

He makes me laugh so much. I don't think I've ever had a dog with a more expressive face - and in particular expressive ears. He reminds me of the cute little pre-gremlin creature in the "Gremlins" film (hmm - maybe I won't risk feeding him after midnight just in case!).

For instance we have a little ritual every morning - I give the dogs their breakfast, Ernie hoovers his down in seconds flat and comes bombing back through the kitchen at full speed. He runs straight underneath Taz and ignores Jess and Sophie as they all eat from raised bowls which he can't reach (bless ) and heads straight towards Meg's bowl.

Just before he gets there I say a stern "Ernie, No". He stops dead in his tracks, his ears droop sideways and his little face is the picture of total deflation that his cunning (but not very subtle) plan to get an extra breakfast has been foiled - yet again. He then trudges slowly and dejectedly back to his own empty bowl and attempts to make me feel guilty by licking it for several minutes just to make sure there are no minuscule crumbs left.
Butter wouldn't melt

Oldies Club
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

31-10-2008, 10:36 PM
From Ernie's fosterer

Not a glimmer of interest in my little Ernie

I really don't understand it, he would be the most fabulous little companion for someone who wants a friend rather than a 'pet'. He doesn't do snuggly lap-dog stuff, but he loves company and being close to people, listens intently to every word you say, likes having his ears scratched (he goes all silly and wriggly), and loves his toys. Throw a ball for him and he'll be your friend for life, give him a pigs ear and he'll worship the ground you walk on, OK - there *may* be an element of self- interest in his adoration, but hey, isn't that the same for all of us, he's just more honest about it than most!

He makes me laugh so much. I don't think I've ever had a dog with a more expressive face - and in particular expressive ears. He reminds me of the cute little pre-gremlin creature in the "Gremlins" film (hmm - maybe I won't risk feeding him after midnight just in case!).

For instance we have a little ritual every morning - I give the dogs their breakfast, Ernie hoovers his down in seconds flat and comes bombing back through the kitchen at full speed. He runs straight underneath Taz and ignores Jess and Sophie as they all eat from raised bowls which he can't reach (bless ) and heads straight towards Meg's bowl.

Just before he gets there I say a stern "Ernie, No". He stops dead in his tracks, his ears droop sideways and his little face is the picture of total deflation that his cunning (but not very subtle) plan to get an extra breakfast has been foiled - yet again. He then trudges slowly and dejectedly back to his own empty bowl and attempts to make me feel guilty by licking it for several minutes just to make sure there are no minuscule crumbs left.
Butter wouldn't melt
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2008, 12:31 AM
bump bump bump

he is gorgeous !!!!!

good luck ernie
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2008, 12:35 AM
He is fabulous........... Good luck with finding him a home xxx
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2008, 10:06 AM
He is georgous, and if i could offer a home i would....but i can't. Sorry Ernie! Fingers crossed for him.
Oldies Club
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

18-11-2008, 07:24 PM
still looking. I dont think we've had a single enquiry about him Quite a surprise as corgis dont seem to come into rescue that often.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2008, 07:43 PM
he is lovely, have you tried corgi rescue?
Oldies Club
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

18-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Yes we have been in contact with them but they dont seem to have anyone on their books currently who would be interested in poor Ernie.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >