Female 

18-07-2008, 09:46 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-funeral.html
Answered my own questions it was a 'Royal Ceremonial Funeral'
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 09:48 AM
so who are these lesser people then ......
anyone got any idea's
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Did that crocodile hunter man not have a state funeral in Australia?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Did that crocodile hunter man not have a state funeral in Australia?
No he was offered one but the family turned it down as the felt it would not be right.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 09:51 AM
dunno Ramble but i would asume they didn't mean across the world when that comment was made
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Lene is from Australia though so I thought maybe she(he) did...
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Lene is from Australia though so I thought maybe she(he) did...
ah i see ............fair enough
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-07-2008, 11:36 AM
A lot of the changes Thatcher put into place are still having repurcussions for people now, like the mass sale of council housing and nationalisation. I didn't blame this governments failings on Thatcher...I just said the things she started are still having repurcussions now.
As for communities still suffering, they are. I'm not discussing areas 200 miles north of Londodn, I'm talking about places far further than that. People who move to this country tend to go to cities...the pits weren't in the cities...the areas ARE still suffering, people don't move to the areas as there is no work/mass poverty...people stay in the area because they have family and ties there and they are perfectly entitled to do that.

me too.
people are entitled to do that - but instead of bleating 25 years on after the event why not relocate - millions of people move around the country to better the areas the children grow up in or to go looking for work - learn new skill sets and go somewhere with them - i have friends who lost their own self made businesses but instead of whinging they went to evening class and got a new trade under their belt - my old man was a money broker and when technology made their trade obsolete he became a decorator - working at stints as a cabbie and in the PO beforehand - you do what you have to do to get by and if you choose to stay somewhere whos industry has been shut because it was costing the rst of the country money to keep it open - then take the consequences - i bet the majority of the union leaders who led their members deeper into the quagmire aint bleating and living on handouts - they would have taken their share of their inflated representative wages and gone to get jobs in the private sector or other such well paid areas.

Nationalisation is a too way street and people on those streets also managed to prosper by inestment opportunities and in some case greatly enhanced competitive choices - but thatchers sales of state owned business wasnt even comparable to Browns pension raids or his selling off of gold reserves.

The mass sale of council houses? - why ? that got a lot of people out of a dependent cycle and gave them leverage - whys it Thatchers fault that this government has softened policies that allow immigrants and vagrants a right to housing etc ahead of its own people?
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
This little piece I found might just answer your question there A:

Quote:

The Labour Party came to power pledged to deal firmly with prices, but to abandon statutory wage controls. It took early action on rents and food prices by means of controls and subsidies. By July 1974 the pay board was abolished and the policies of compulsory wage restraint ended.

During the February 1974 general election, an agreement between the TUC and the Labour Party had been announced known as the SOCIAL CONTRACT. The hope was that, in return for the repeal of the 1972 Industrial Relations Act, the TUC would be able to persuade its members to cooperate in a programme of voluntary wage restraint. In this way it was hoped to avoid the strains caused by formal incomes policies which appeared to trade unions to leave them without any particular role to play. Under a voluntaty system they could still do their job of bargaining about wage rates.

By early 1975 it was feared the Social Contract was failing.
If the government continued to reject a stutory incomes policy, it was argued, the only alternative would be highly restrictive budgetary policies - monetarism etc

Before anyone starts blaming "Thatcher" and "Thatcherism" for so much of the hung over current misery, let us remind ourselves that it was actually Dennis Healey and Jim Callaghan who first went cap in hand groveling to the International Monetary Fund and introduced full on monetarist policies into the UK. The Tories subsequently built on what the other lot had started.
By the end of the seventies the constant set piece industrial showdowns, culminating in the "winter of discontent", between employers and organized sectors of labour in both private and state sectors, who still had entrenched collective bargaining power, were becoming increasingly stuck and deadlocked. For the majority who were not directly involved in these collective struggles in industry, the experience was increasingly one of stagnation, service interruption in the community, and the perception of a growing "chaos".

The Grunwick's dispute, which began as a small local dispute around a photo processing laboratory in north west London was then seized on by wider organized bosses' forces and the state and turned into a laboratory exercise for designing and testing the archetypal lock out entrapment model for breaking other strikes.

Come the end of the seventies, millions of working class people were sufficiently bored and pi**ed off with the stagnation and atmosphere of chaos to join large numbers of the middle classes in voting for Thatcher. She promised a radical way out of the deadlock, and appealed to workers' aspirations for individual rather than collective advancement.

Part of our mistake at that time was that we still did not fully understand what the real agenda of the ruling elite had become. Many of us still thought that they just wanted us to be more patriotic, more loyal to industry, more hardworking, and to work for lower pay without tea-break in order to boost britain's industrial efficiency, productivity, and competitiveness, so they could sell more manufactured goods to the world.

Unquote!

So I WAS right, it was the 70's when we had all that horrendous unemployment, chaos, everything, and SHE came and tried to put it right!
Yes and youll ind they nationalised 30 percent of BP to appease the IMF

hmmmm thats privatisation isnt it?
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-07-2008, 11:42 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2530763.stm
Forgot about the poll tax and all the riots....riots all over the place in the 80's...and the poll tax riots. I had friends injured after peaceful demos at anti poll tax demonstrations...Thatcher's police state...how could I have forgotten.
WE should all remember the poll tax and the riots.
yeah i had police friends and people who traded on the liffe floor injured on recent riots as well

and remember PC Blakelock being macheted to death - that was Thatchers fault as well I assume?
Page 16 of 33 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »