View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 06:25 PM

Coat Condition (supplements to improve dry coat & skin?)

Hope this is in the right thread

Seth (Newfoundland) has started going through a 'fussy' stage for eating so I'm kinda trying all sorts to get food in him, he seems to go 'off' things quite quickly but having such a varied diet suprisingly hasn't upset his bowels and he's maintaining a decent weight but my problem is he has a very dry coat at the minute - has been like it for a couple of months, don't know if its down to the diet, the warm sunny weather ..... his skin is a little flakey too even though I brush him every other day if not everyday, Ive tried using mink oil when brushing him, when I last bathed him (which isn't done on a regular basis as I know this can strip the oils out of his coat) I conditioned it really well but I'm now wondering if there's anything anybody can suggest that I can give him/supplement his diet with to try and sort this problem out ..... He has no other health issues at the present time .....

All suggestions greatly received - Thank you
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Skin & coat condition come from within the dog essentially & no amount of external sprays etc will affect it permanently

TBH I wouldn't be chopping & changing his diet & believe me no dog will starve itself to death. I've had some very fussy feeders in the past & soon learnt not to pander to them. How old is he & has his attitude to food changed during the hot weather ?

You can give Starflower Oil to improve the coat & skin. It's produced from the Borage plant(the fields of blue you see in the countryside)& has a high level of GLA
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-08-2006, 06:40 PM
could it be down to the shampoo that you have used?
isn't cod liver good for the skin and coat as well?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Omega 3 is a better source than Cod Liver Oil of EPA(Eicosapentaenoic Acid) & DHA(Docosahexaenoic Acid)both of which help skin & coat condition

GLA(Gamma Linolenic Acid)is essential for the regrowth of coat & skin cells & one of the best sources is Starflower oil
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Newfies are prone to shed skin and their coats are not supposed to be shinny rather oily and waterproof, so it could be you dogs coat is normal however if the problem is really excessive then perhaps to let a vet take a look would be a good idea. Have a word with the breeder they should be able to put your mind at rest.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

06-08-2006, 08:39 PM
One of mine is a fussy eater and had lost coat Iput him on Enervite which stimualtes the appetite and helps the coat and I have noticed a big improvement, might by worth a try. You gan get it on line through Hyperdrug.
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks Everyone,

Seth is just 12mths old JoeDeeUk

He's shedding his coat but its very dry and brittle, certainly not how a newfs coat should be, I guess it doesn't help the fact that he's brown (well should be - but is kinda copper at the moment!! ) and they always look a rainbow of brown shades during shedding time, so he looks even worse, his coat hasn't been right since a stupid person/trainee groomer decided it was a good idea to comb him through and I mean through/all over with a mars coat king and basically massacarred his coat and furnishings - he had beautiful furnishings I was mortified when I got him home and realised what they'd done!!!

I used a gentle baby shampoo on him Leo as I didn't want anything too harsh stripping the oils out of his coat and like I say I brush him virtually eveyday so surely that should be encouraging his natural oils to secrete?

Food wise I'm just switching his complete as I have had problems settling him on one lately and in the process I've found out that he doesn't like anything fish related .....
He won't eat his complete dry so I put a variety of things in to encourage him to eat it (should have said that in the first post - sorry guys! )
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

07-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I am not telling you not to use baby shampoo on him but only advising that a friend of mine who is a vet said never to use human shampoo baby or otherwise on a dog but always to use one's produced especially for dogs Don't think though that that is your dogs problem as I agree with hr person who said it comes from the inside. But perhaps it is not helping the situation. Just a suggestion .
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Lovezois ..... I was told that the only human shampoo that could be used was baby as it was much milder and gentler than other human shampoo .........
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Arden Grange adult lamb and rice makes my Collie's coat shine like nothing else. I don't know what's in it but it works like no other. Unfortunatley it also makes her hyper-active so I have to be careful how much I feed.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >