View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2018, 09:33 AM
That made me laugh Chris!! My hubby used to complain about the noise of the mower, so I had a lot of encouragement to go native!!

Yesterday evening was a real thrill for us - a baby robin has just fledged and just one starling so far. Both babies are a lot tamer than their parents and by putting meal worms right beside us on our garden table we managed to get them to come down and feed. At one time we had a one-legged starling, 2 or 3 two-legged and the baby starling squawking and squabbling beside us showering us in bits of meal worm, seed and fat!!

The next objective is to get the jackdaws to land on the bird table whilst we are there - and if we managed to get the crow to do likewise that would be amazing, but I think it is going to be impossible to do that. It will take a few more generations to get this to happen. Surprisingly enough the robin is more timorous than the starlings, which is weird. Wish we had done this years ago! Then my back and my knees wouldn't be half so crippled!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2018, 06:37 PM
We have a pair of blackbirds who visit regularly. They will feed from my hubby's hand. The starlings that visit the cafe will also take food from our hands and, of course, the geese on the lake positively pester to be given their food.

I love birds, always have.

I do struggle to identify jackdaws and crows, but I think it is the crows we regularly see on our walks. They are fairly tame and Rosie can walk within a couple of feet of them before they take flight.

Rosie never bothers the birds and it seems they sense this. Even the squirrels in the park never bother when she gets close while they are feeding of the grain someone leaves on the ground for them
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
We have a pair of blackbirds who visit regularly. They will feed from my hubby's hand. The starlings that visit the cafe will also take food from our hands and, of course, the geese on the lake positively pester to be given their food.

I love birds, always have.

I do struggle to identify jackdaws and crows, but I think it is the crows we regularly see on our walks. They are fairly tame and Rosie can walk within a couple of feet of them before they take flight.

Rosie never bothers the birds and it seems they sense this. Even the squirrels in the park never bother when she gets close while they are feeding of the grain someone leaves on the ground for them
I take pictures of all sorts of things.
From this mornings walk:

Max spotted it but waited when told to while I aimed the camera.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Beautiful. There's something about who placid they are that gives a wonderful feel-good feeling x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2018, 09:06 AM
Lovely photograph ... beautiful glossy blackbird ��
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Thank you guys.
You will no doubt know that I have an interest in photography - and my dog of course..................

This parent was on our pergola on her way home to serve breakfast.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Another fantastic photograph !
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2018, 10:05 AM
oo yum. nothing like a fat worm for breakfast.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Final triumph in my messy garden!! Air filled as I type with yhe sound of tens of bumbles and honey bees on my red campion!! I havent seen a live honey bee in yonks, I am so thrilled!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2018, 06:48 PM
As said before, my garden is mostly grass and yet we have tons of bumble and honey bees - always have had
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >