View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Linda, I had wiped the eggs with a dry paper towel and checked for cracks before putting them in the plastic egg container. I can only think that maybe I cracked one when clipping the lid on. But that would not explain why the other eggs were affected and they were as off as off could be.

I do not know if there were any maggots inside the eggs as I put the container into the sink under the running cold water tap, and cracked one by one into a glass - and quickly dumped the black and green stinking mess into the sink.

That was the first, and will be the last time that I ever keep eggs out of the refrigerator.

Shirley - I even keep potatoes and onions in the refrigerator - mainly because I have no room to keep them elsewhere but also because of the mice that I unwillingly share my home with.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Glad it's not just me Malka and yeah spuds and onions in the fridge here too.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 02:01 PM
I know ithis isn't about eggs but I keep my spuds in the ............. Washing machine No room anywhere else. I just have to check that none have escaped out of the bag before I put the washer on.
Meg
Supervisor

20-09-2013, 02:02 PM
My eggs always go in the fridge until about half an hour before I use them
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
I know ithis isn't about eggs but I keep my spuds in the ............. Washing machine No room anywhere else. I just have to check that none have escaped out of the bag before I put the washer on.
Quick peel
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 03:59 PM
I keep eggs in the ceramic chicken that lives on the windowsill.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
I am not laughing at you. Because I keep my stock of spare loo rolls inside my tumble dryer in the spare room lol! Well I hardly ever use it and all that space in the drum just going to waste!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 04:45 PM
I don't think I've ever bought as many as 30 eggs at one time in my whole life! 4, 5 or 6 free rangers here at a time.

How long does it take you to get through 30 (or you and Pereg if you both eat them).

I go through phases with eggs - occasionally fancy a fried one with ham and mashed spuds and occasionally a spanish omelette. If I haven't used all 6 up in about a week I boil them and use them on salad or in sarnies. I love egg and cucumber sarnies.

*one thing occurred to me - have any of you ever bought a fridge that didn't have an 'egg holder' thingie on one of the door shelves in it? I haven't. I usually take it out as I just keep the eggs in the container they came in.

As for 'fresh eggs' from the farm. I used to get those given to me down in Cornwall but was always warned to break them into a bowl or cup before using them as they could never be sure they were that day's eggs. And told to wash the muck off the shells too.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I am not laughing at you. Because I keep my stock of spare loo rolls inside my tumble dryer in the spare room lol! Well I hardly ever use it and all that space in the drum just going to waste!
I do not think my tumble dryer could hold my spare loo rolls as I buy 10 packs of 32 rolls at a time...

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
...[snip]...
How long does it take you to get through 30 (or you and Pereg if you both eat them).
Probably in less time than it takes Tnuva to collect them, sort them into sizes, stamp them, box them and pack them, and deliver them to the supermarkets.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
We keep ours on the side in the kitchen rather than in the fridge. In theory they don't need to be in the fridge although our kitchen isn't the warmest.

Here's our 'eggskelter' - we get half a dozen every day from our own chucks.

I use an egg skelter to. I'm only getting one egg a day from my girls at the moment as two of them are moulting.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >