Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Joat Mon
New Member!
Male 

18-05-2011, 06:45 AM

Dog-tired of searching for help!

As a mini schnauzer owner, i agreed to take charge of another schnauzer, as it's owner died (she was 90). The dog is nearly 13, and his health is poor, beyond words! But his spirit is strong and his love of life is still present. All I want to do is to allow him to live his final few summers in comfort. I cannot afford the crazy vet costs, all I want is to make him comfortable, and deal with his immediate health issues (he's smelling bad -and it's not his coat- and he has rat tail, and he is drinking way too much and peeing too much too) Can anyone advise (I'm not eligible for PDSA help, and SSPCA Striling has shut down)
P.S the dog was seen by the vet yesterday, and the costs for a scan and blood tests is £180 -and the vet indicated that the dog might have several organ problems. Since I wrote this post I have located a PDSA in glasgow, so I'm going to give them a call after 9am today.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Sorry to heat that sad story. I appreciate that you're trying to do a good thing by homing this dog, but you can't just write it off because it's old! How much do you know of it's health? Does it have something terminal? Has it been to a vet recently with it's previous owners? Whatever is wrong with it may be treatable, so I hope you are not self diagnosing and deciding it'll be it's "last summer" as that may well not be the case....

The symptoms you describe are worrying. The smell could be something like a yeast infection which would be very uncomfortable. The excessive weeing is also very worrying, this can be the symptom of diabetes or kidney failure etc. or it could be old age incontinence and a urine infection which needs antibiotics. This dog really does need a visit to a vet.

Perhaps your local vet would work out some sort of payment plan for you? Or if you really cannot afford treatment then I suggest you consider handing the dog over to a rescue who could help. I don't mean to sound harsh, and I know you've been so kind taking on this elderly dog and it would be awful for it to have to to through another home change after losing it's owner. But, particularly with the weeing, I strongly feel this dog needs to see a vet. Good luck
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 07:14 AM
Im so sorry to hear about the poor dogs health. The drinking exessively could be kidneys, liver, diabetis, infection etc etc the only way you will know for sure is a vet check and blood tests Im sorry to say.
Naturally if he drinks alot he will pee alot.

I realise that vets are costly but IMO the only best thing for the dog is a vet check, the dog could be in alot of discomfort internally and silently suffer.

Well done to you for caring so much, but again IMO a vet and medication (if the vet advises) would be what I advise
Joat Mon
New Member!
Male 

18-05-2011, 07:18 AM
Thank you for your words -and sorry that my post was unclear. I have updated it now ,cheers!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Joat Mon View Post
Thank you for your words -and sorry that my post was unclear. I have updated it now ,cheers!
Just read your update........hopefully they will give you all the help needed and things can be sorted even if it is for a short while xxxxxxxxx fingers crossed for you
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Enlist the help of your friends! I took on an old girl with cancer and we raised over £1000 is a few months with boot sales, quiz nights, face painting etc. It can be done!
Curry nights and Race Nights are good fund-raisers btw.
Stay positive. You`ll be surprised at how generous people can be.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Hello Joat welcome to Dogsey.
It was kind of you to take on a older dog with health problems, a lot of people wouldn't..
(he's smelling bad -and it's not his coat- and he has rat tail, and he is drinking way too much and peeing too much too) Can anyone advise (I'm not eligible for PDSA help, and SSPCA Striling has shut down)
P.S the dog was seen by the vet yesterday, and the costs for a scan and blood tests is £180 -and the vet indicated that the dog might have several organ problems. Since I wrote this post I have located a PDSA in glasgow, so I'm going to give them a call after 9am today.
does the smell come from the dogs breath, what are the teeth like, also I assume the vet will have checked the anal glands. Dogs with organ failure can have a 'funny smell' sort of sweet/sickly/metallic.
I hope you have some luck with the PDSA...
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 10:09 AM
So happy you managed to get a dog to the vet, well done you I hope the PDSA can help you out. Again, good luck
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Some very good advice
Well done for your kindness-not many people would have done what you have.
Hope that you are able to get help for him ,to make his last years-hopefully-as happy as possible
Maureen

P.S just realised you have only just joined-so welcome-you will find lots of support on here as we are all members for the same reason-that we care about animals