Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:07 PM

Aggressive seeing eye dog?

I've been pondering this all day and im curious as to what you all think really,

I was out this morning with all 3 dogs and i cut through a back alley type thing to avoid all the sight seers etc to get to the fields, I came to like a cross roads bit and saw a blind lady coming towards me with a seeing eye dog so i made all 3 sit and wait so she could either pass us or turn left or right.

Now all 3 sat as were asked to and shila whined to go say hello i told her to leave and she shut up but as the lady passed us with the dog closest to us her dog kicked off and in a full blown way aswell

i took a couple of steps back as i didn't really know what else to do to be honest but this dog was really going for it and the lady well she didn't really know what to do and i was no use what so ever as i had 2 dogs in 1 hand and 1 in the other, thankfully a shop keeper came out and sort of helped the lady along and it all calmed down.

My question is, is this normal for a seeing eye dog when it spots other dogs?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:10 PM
No, seeing eye dogs are to stay loyal and ignore others.

There was a dog attack a seeing eye dog in the news a while back and the SED stayed with it's person even whilst been torn into. It didn't retaliate or anything.

Perhaps it wasn't an agency trained one but one that someone had tried to train for her themselves?
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:13 PM
I didn't think they were supposed to react to anything either but then i thought maybe i'd got confused,

It had the bright yellow coat and handle thing attached to it, it was such a odd thing that its stuck with me all day to be honest x
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Not normal but not unheard of either. I saw one drag its owner all over the place, grabbing food off the floor and jumping all over people. Then it saw Shadow and decided it was play time. God knows where it had been trained because most of them I've seen ignore any sort of distraction while working.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:17 PM
I posted an article of a GSD SED who had bit someone a few weeks back - it turns out it was a family trained one, not approved my an agency or testers and was still a baby. I think it might be likely that it was one not trained by an agency as they don't allow any dogs with any of this behaviour to leave the training - they either go as pets or are retrained. (Well thats how I understand it).

Perhaps enquire about it - the lady could be in some trouble if her dog behaves like that regularly..
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:20 PM
There is a black lab here that is a seeing eye dog and will make a bee line for Henry, growling it's head off whenever it gets a chance. If we see it in the distance then we take an alternative route as the owner obviously cannot see whats about to happen.

When the chap is walking with his family they let the dog run loose, it always comes over to us snarling...it now gets a quick boot and a spray of lemon juice, last time I did that it ran into a stationary car, it didn't yelp or anything but it may make it think twice. The owner never, ever reprimands it
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah i'll have a word with other dog walkers to be honest, didn't see anyone else this morning but might later, it was a older dog as well, had grey around the muzzle and the older dog walk kind of thing.

Just didn't expect it at all to be honest and im glad the shop woman came out otherwise we'd still be stood there now x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Yeah i'll have a word with other dog walkers to be honest, didn't see anyone else this morning but might later, it was a older dog as well, had grey around the muzzle and the older dog walk kind of thing.

Just didn't expect it at all to be honest and im glad the shop woman came out otherwise we'd still be stood there now x
What if it isn't a SED? I've often thought I could put a yellow harness on Sadie and walk into a shop with sunglasses on - no one will know any different ...well she'd be nicking food from everywhere and walking faster than me and not guiding me at all - but thats details

Thats me on a bit too much sugar (I needed a pick me up! Lol)
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Never even thought of that to be honest, although now im off on ebay to find some lol x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Never even thought of that to be honest, although now im off on ebay to find some lol x
Phahaa - you never know
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >