Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MississippiRick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
LOL---another of Adams imports---two posts and one is this one.

Sad really.

One does wonder how other people in Florida manage---I have a friend there with a pit bull type and they are fine without one.

rune
Well, that is hard to say. He said in his post that his dog went down and confronted the gator. The Pit Bull probably hightailed it the other way...hahaha...After having lived in Central Florida for 21 years myself, a dog is not going to have any chance if he CONFRONTS a gator. Losing battle from the beginning. The canal gators have come up and killed little children in back yards....Course they really would not be there in the first place but a lot of people bring that upon themselfs. Throwing out food and such for them..
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Adam the Alligator Man ... Gator Guy?
Sorry... I`m easily amused. But this whole thread has been surreal. This and the lady who lies down with horses.
Strange friends you have, Adam.
But I`m sure anyone in the UK having a problem with invading alligators will be sincerely grateful that Dogsey has aired this serious issue in such a snappy way.

LOL LOL - what a hilarious albeit bizarre thread. Have been cackling while reading.

Love 'snappy way' CLAIREANDDAISY, am grinning

Some of RUNE'S responses have also had me laughing.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Snakes =/= gators. Have you even SEEN a gator? I mean, for real. Because I don't think they're all that common in the UK. You can't just trap them and use them in a controlled way like you could a snake. You'd have to go out there and know where one is (YOU would have to, not your dog, YOU). There is no controlled way to train a dog alligator avoidance. The idea of it is just ridiculous. You know NOTHING Adam.

Keep your dog safe with a leash and keeping your eye out. And if you want to go off leash, go someplace safe and away from water.

Why is this so difficult?
Fact is DW got his dog close enough to know that the dogs were interested ect without them being eaten, if you can do that you can train avoidance.

Besides as DW points out they do get eaten on the lead.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
If the gator is in the water and you can see it, then its resting not hunting.. when it moves from resting to hunting, it will submerge, then lie in wait under the water.

You will maybe, if your lucky, teach the dog to fear the sight of a gator, or even the smell of a resting gator. But nothing can scent or see a submerged ambush gator thats their whole point.

I still think your training will probably only result in a dog that is scared of water or anything floating in the water and will likely get eaten some point during your training regime by the gator you didn't see.

Still i suppose you could then use the now eaten e collar to train that gator not to want to eat anyone else's dog
Dogs have a strong enough sense of smell to detect something through water.

This training isn't about eleminating the risk totally (you could on;y do that by removing the gators) its about making the dog more aware of that risk and have a more avoidance attitude to gators.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Little doggy air scenting 'towards' the gator... BZZZZZT eek... sniffing is bad, I should try moving, maybe towards the water BZZZZT Argh! Moving is bad... freeze... BZZZT too near the water? Too far from my owner? was I sniffing again? maybe I should lie down BZZZZZZZT BZZZZT! For FKS sake, thats it, Im just going to try dashing anywhere...

Yomp crunh crunch crunch gator snack...

BZZZzzzzzt bzzz zzzloop gloop blup........

nope..

cant see how this will work
Pretty easily if you actually have any ablity to train at all!

Dog becomes aware of gator, you stim dog and move dog away with the lead, stim stops, dog learns to avoid gators.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
she's got you there adam....

......just face this time: owned.
Yeah right, didn't even talk to a dog trainer just a guy who goes out after them. Its hardly comparable.

Adam
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Fact is DW got his dog close enough to know that the dogs were interested ect without them being eaten, if you can do that you can train avoidance.

Besides as DW points out they do get eaten on the lead.

Adam
STOP TALKING ABOUT THINGS YOU DO NOT KNOW!!!

And if the dogs get close enough that someone can see them interested in an alligator then they can train a solid recall WITHOUT AN E-COLLAR and call them back immediately.

Dogs get eaten on the leash because people walk close to the edge of the water and pay no attention. If people keep their dog close and pay attention, keep a good distance away from the water's edge, there is no need for "training" using an e-collar.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Pretty easily if you actually have any ablity to train at all!

Dog becomes aware of gator, you stim dog and move dog away with the lead, stim stops, dog learns to avoid gators.

Adam
Adam, how many dogs have you trained to stay away from alligators again? Please enlighten us. I think the number was something like
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:19 PM
STOP TALKING ABOUT THINGS YOU DO NOT KNOW!!!

And if the dogs get close enough that someone can see them interested in an alligator then they can train a solid recall WITHOUT AN E-COLLAR and call them back immediately.

Dogs get eaten on the leash because people walk close to the edge of the water and pay no attention. If people keep their dog close and pay attention, keep a good distance away from the water's edge, there is no need for "training" using an e-collar.
Yeah and a solid recall takes how long? and only works if you (not the dog) see the gator.

With e collar avoidance training the dog learns in one sesison to avoid gators.On its own, it doesn't need you nannying it ect it just looks out for itself.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Adam, how many dogs have you trained to stay away from alligators again? Please enlighten us. I think the number was something like
And how many dogs have you owned?

One isn't it, that appears to have a very easy going if somewhat fearful nature, yeah I'll really bow to your experience lol.

Adam
Page 11 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »