Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2013, 07:45 PM

Tapeworm in puppys poo

We found a tapeworm in our puppys poo today.

She was given Stronghold for fleas and roundworm by our vet. I gave her this on 25th November and it has to be repeated one month later. She is nearly 14 weeks.

Now not sure what to do as I cannot worm her for the tapeworm yet. Does anyone know if this Stronghold for round worms would also kill the tapeworm? I am totally confused
Monica28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Dogs actually get tape worm from ingesting fleas. Stronghold will not kill tape worms. Drontal plus works great for tapes.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Give your vet a quick call tomorrow.....just to confirm that it is okay to use Drontal (or similar), and they can also dispense a tablet for you at the right strength for a pup.

Horrid things tapeworms aren't they
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Hi Sheena I agree with Bitkin I would contact your vet to get the appropriate worm tablet/dosage for your puppy.
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Thank you. Yes I will do that, I was just a bit concerned about her having another worm treatment on top of the one shes just had. But I will speak to the vet.

Yes tapeworms are horrible. It is the first time I have seen one, ugh

Thanks again. xx
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 08:59 AM
What about getting some natural wormer like Verm-X rather than overloading with chemicals again so soon?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Anniebee View Post
What about getting some natural wormer like Verm-X rather than overloading with chemicals again so soon?
I'm reading on the UK Netdoctor site that Vermex will NOT kill tapeworm (in humans), so I doubt it will be effective in dogs.

*editing to say I am now reading that Verm X is not a wormer and is not allowed to be sold as a wormer - it is designed to create an inhospitable environment for parasites.

Also that DEFRA were said to be getting tough with manufacturers of some of these herbal products and the claims they make that their products 'work'. The producers of Verm-X have to follow the rules and regulations which all herbal medicines have to follow: It is called internal parasite control, rather than “anthelmintic” or “wormer” since it is not a licensed medicine.

DEFRA agreed the description of “herbal internal parasite control product” however Verm-X would not be allowed to pubish results of tests and trials or describe the properties of the herbs used in the formulation of Verm-X for example.

The wormer that is insisted on for Pet Passport Travel is Drontal. That is effective against tapeworm. If the OP's puppy is passing tapeworms (especially live ones) they need something that is proven to WORK and should be guided by their vet. They've already used something that does not work to eradicate tapeworm - Stronghold.