register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which food do you feed?
Purina Pro Plan 2 1.27%
Pedigree Professional 0 0%
James Wellbeloved 21 13.38%
Arden Grange 18 11.46%
Orijen 15 9.55%
other 114 72.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by tracypj View Post
We feed raw with some of our food o the odd occasions.

We started this with our second dog as he was allergic to everything due to having his vaccinations (so the vet told us), and raw chicken made him so much better.

When we got Holly we started her straight away on raw and that's what she knows. She was starting to become a bit fussy and weird though, right until we got Toby. There are still things she won't touch that she used to, but I'm sure that'll right itself soon.

As for Toby, we gave him raw food the first night, and he thought he'd died and gone to heaven! It's done him loads of good already, having cleaned his manky teeth well, and he's much more clear eyed than he was when we got him home.

I would never go back to processed foods knowing what they put in them.

T x
similar here and I really do think I seen a difference within a couple of meals of raw

Quite interesting to see that the 'big brands' are actually facing over 70% of people feeding other brands or ways...
Gee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2011, 08:53 PM
I envy those of you that can get your dogs to eat Orijen or F4D. I so wanted Ted to be on either of these as I researched before I got him and didn't want him having wheat. Soy or by- products mostly used for just bulking out the meal.I spent a small forune but he hated kibble. The vet said to try Natures Menu banquette nuggets which I've always mixed with extra veg (he loves broccoli, peas brussels!) he then went off that, now he 's on Wainrights Turkey and Rice, Lamb and Rice and Duck and Rice.all still mixed with fresh veg. So far so good.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 01:12 PM
3 of my dogs are on Acana Pacifica (makers of Orijen but less ingredient dense, and 33% protein to Orijen 6 Fish's 44%, but still grain free) the other 2 are on a mix of Acana Pacifica and California Natural Lamb and rice light formula... tho that is being switched to Natural Balance Vegetarian, as California Natural just got bought out by Mars Corporation, and I wont feed food made by the big corporations.

My 2 young dogs are lean and fit, My new rescue has lost weight and looks fantastic. Zoe and Scout were overweight, but Zoe has lost all her excess, and Scout is looking better. 4 of the 4 dogs have perfect coats, but Mouse has some skin issues, and has since she was fed raw as a pup. I have not been able to figure out what is causing the allergy... except tripe caused her to break out in HIVES.
Carla0305
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2011, 04:30 PM
My two pups are fed on Orijen. They do amazingly well on it.

They both came on IAMS which i switched to Royal Canine on my vets recommendation. They didnt get on with that, tried JWB, Arden Grange, and purina sensitive. My bitch did well on the purina, but my dog had constant loose stools. I switched my dog onto Orijen and soon my bitch decided she wouldnt eat anything unless she could have it too - so now I have them both on it and they love it.

Only downside is you can't soak it to put in kongs as it wont absorb the liquid.

Everyone comments on how well conditioned they are, even the vets so I have no reason to change.

It does contain 'chicken meal' but all the meats used in Orijen are considered fit for human consumption - so can't see it being beaks/feathers etc.

I would like to feed them a raw diet. But i'd worry I wasnt giving them everything they needed.
lynne9999
New Member!
Female 

04-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi
I use Taste of the Wild for my Staffy which is grain free

Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Carla0305 View Post
My two pups are fed on Orijen. They do amazingly well on it.

They both came on IAMS which i switched to Royal Canine on my vets recommendation. They didnt get on with that, tried JWB, Arden Grange, and purina sensitive. My bitch did well on the purina, but my dog had constant loose stools. I switched my dog onto Orijen and soon my bitch decided she wouldnt eat anything unless she could have it too - so now I have them both on it and they love it.

Only downside is you can't soak it to put in kongs as it wont absorb the liquid.

Everyone comments on how well conditioned they are, even the vets so I have no reason to change.

It does contain 'chicken meal' but all the meats used in Orijen are considered fit for human consumption - so can't see it being beaks/feathers etc.

I would like to feed them a raw diet. But i'd worry I wasnt giving them everything they needed.
Chicken Meal is not bad. Chicken By-Product Meal is bad. By-Product meal is the beaks/feathers/not fit for human consumption crap that most cheap dog food protein is made almost solely from.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Mine are all raw fed, but I do buy the odd bag of kibble to use as filling for treat balls/pushing/clickering etc..they really really really like PAH version of JWB
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-02-2011, 04:08 PM
i feed mine on wainwrights big breed and he love's it i also mix in some pedigree chum for puppy's so he doesnt get bored of just kibles
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 09:24 PM
I feed Jake raw, but i always have a bag of Wafcol Salmon and Potato for emergencies (never had to though) and to use as treats. It is a good food, and is hypoallergenic which Jake needs coz he is allergic to wheat/grain. I love feeding raw though and will never feed kibble again (unless i have no choice coz of the dog). Jake loves it and is looking amazing on it! Its the only way to feed IMO
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Chicken Meal is not bad. Chicken By-Product Meal is bad. By-Product meal is the beaks/feathers/not fit for human consumption crap that most cheap dog food protein is made almost solely from.

A small correction here, if the dog food manufacturer belongs to the PFMA then ALL the ingredients will be fit for human consumption.

Whether or not humans LIKE to consume them, is another matter.
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »