Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Barking Experiment Carried Out

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about our neighbours had said that Marco was barking and today I had a day off work which provided the perfect opportunity for me to see if he barks while we are out.

I was up at 5 with hubby as he was going to work and then at 8 just before my son went to work I went up to bed and settled down for a lazy few hours. Marco never made a sound when my son left and was silent until the dog walker came at 10:10. When she brought him back later I heard her settle him and he was quiet after she left apart from two little whimpers about 5 minutes after she'd gone. I stayed in bed for about another half hour and he was quiet throughout, when I came downstairs he was asleep and was very surprised and happy to see me.

At least now I know for sure that he's happy on his own while we're at work (or hiding in bed!!) - I knew he didn't bark when hubby is in bed following night shifts but it was in the back of my mind that that could be because he knew he was in the house but I've got to say that I do feel better after my little experiment.....and my extra sleep
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Lol and I can spell experiment but I can't change the title
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Nuisance isn't it being unable to edit titles! Bit of peppermint in there and a bit of pepper too lol!

The only thing I'd say is that you being in the house 'somewhere' is not the same as you being OUT. Dogs know you are in the house even if you are not in the same room as them. Lots of dogs don't mind being left on their own overnight downstairs while family sleeps but go bananas if left on their own even for short periods while family is OUT!

Like most agree in general it is not a good idea to leave your dog alone for more than about 4 or 5 hours a day yet no one says you shouldn't leave a dog alone for much longer than that during the night while you sleep (not talking new puppies here)

If you wanted to know if they were exaggerating or fibbing you could have asked them if your dog was a nuisance saying you had to leave him all day see what they say!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Good idea Pat, however I think these are the neighbours who only communicate by knocking on the wall, maybe a seance would be in order
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Good idea Pat, however I think these are the neighbours who only communicate by knocking on the wall, maybe a seance would be in order
LOL! Morse code maybe?

My sister had a neighbour who was so anal about any noise at all that one day - in the middle of the afternoon - they started banging on the party wall like loonies because they could hear her 'tenderising a steak' with one of those little prongy hammers!

Some people must just sit and WAIT and LISTEN for any sign of life whatsoever so they can have a moan about it! The sort of people I always think must be deeply unhappy with their OWN lives. And seem to be particularly irritated by the sound of anyone else having fun!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2013, 02:18 PM
This reminds me of years ago when we had the Late Benny boy and the late great Katie, the neighbours kept complaining about barking when we were out so we put up a camera to film them. About ten minutes after we left someone knocked the door, dogs started barking as soon as they stopped the door was knocked again and again. Went on for an hour. Turned out it was our neighbour who did all the complaining !

He still lives here but people have worked out now how awful he is, had his upstairs neighbour in tears on more than one occasion about her unreasonable noise (she dropped a teaspoon in the kitchen one day and he went nuts). She walks on eggs shells trying not to make any noise