View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Most of the dogs on the sites seems to be old info. It would be good if the sites were more 'live'

Online applications would be helpful.

Filters to match your needs, e.g. time dedicated to walking, time at home, have cats / kids, area you live in etc to match you up to suitable dogs
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Ah right thanks Claire.

Wonder how many actually go that far - I guess the first two would be a given, but 3? (Could cost them a lot?)
not if the person given behaviuoral advice is a member of staff. just like i was
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Most of the dogs on the sites seems to be old info. It would be good if the sites were more 'live'

Online applications would be helpful.

Filters to match your needs, e.g. time dedicated to walking, time at home, have cats / kids, area you live in etc to match you up to suitable dogs
like a dating website lol
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2012, 03:53 AM
I’ve given this a bit of thought and came up with these ideas.

About the rescues:

Location(s)
Any blanket homing requirements (e.g secure garden/no children under certain age, etc)
Adoption procedure
Adoption contract available to view
What back up is available after adoption if needed
Will the rescue take back a dog if necessary (death/serious illness of owner, etc)

About each dog:

Couple of reasonable pictures
Size (height and weight ideally)
Information about the “character” of the dog and how this has been assessed
Any health information
History if known
If they are okay with children
Whether they can live with cats
Whether they can live with other dogs (and any restrictions such as the sex or breed of other dogs)
Location (if in foster or rescue has multiple sites)
Date information on the dog was last updated

General suggestions:

As others have said, a search function that allows you to search for dogs that meet various criteria would be great. I also think the information about whether a dog is suitable to live with children/cats/other dogs should be prominently displayed amongst the first things you see in the dog’s details. It’s really disheartening to read a profile for a dog that sounds ideal for your circumstances, but then get right down to the bottom of the page and see “not suitable to live with cats” or “must be an only dog”.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
like a dating website lol
never been on one, but would imagine it might make a good model
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Azz, have you seen Petfinder?

This has gone crazy in North America, and is the single site rescues, pounds and shelters use to post their dogs. Every rescue or shelter or pound who has charitable status is eligible to sign up, and it's free. It is seriously the perfect way to find a dog.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Azz, have you seen Petfinder?

This has gone crazy in North America, and is the single site rescues, pounds and shelters use to post their dogs. Every rescue or shelter or pound who has charitable status is eligible to sign up, and it's free. It is seriously the perfect way to find a dog.
Hi abie, i dont know if my reply and your original post come under the dogsey no mentioning other dog site rules, but as you are interested, and i have a vast background and experience in rescue, i thought i would mention we have this in the UK as well:
http://www.dogsblog.com/
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Hi abie, i dont know if my reply and your original post come under the dogsey no mentioning other dog site rules, but as you are interested, and i have a vast background and experience in rescue, i thought i would mention we have this in the UK as well:
http://www.dogsblog.com/
Slightly different though, as each rescue has their own page, which they post their dogs, who are then entered into the database. When you're searching for a dog(or a cat, or small animal), you just put what city you're in then they will list all the dogs within your search categories starting with the closest to the furthest away. They come up as thumbnails with breed, age category and rescue group. then you click on that and it brings you to that dogs page.

You can also search for specific rescues, and see all the animals that rescue has (cats, dogs, small animals)

It's extremely easy to use for all involved, and makes things very simple for people looking for a pet!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 07:57 AM
The area idea is good---although we are a bit smaller than you!

rune
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Slightly different though, as each rescue has their own page, which they post their dogs, who are then entered into the database. When you're searching for a dog(or a cat, or small animal), you just put what city you're in then they will list all the dogs within your search categories starting with the closest to the furthest away. They come up as thumbnails with breed, age category and rescue group. then you click on that and it brings you to that dogs page.

You can also search for specific rescues, and see all the animals that rescue has (cats, dogs, small animals)

It's extremely easy to use for all involved, and makes things very simple for people looking for a pet!
as far as i have noticed, you can do all this on the site i mentioned as well. most of the rescues in the Uk are on there. i just noticed you are based in canada, i thought you were in the UK when i first replied.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >