Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 01:59 PM

Medication or not?

My Collie is 14 yrs old. At the the start of the year she had what the vet thinks was a stroke, and has been having fits ever since.
The vet didn't want to put her on medication as it would effect her liver and she already had problems with her liver and it would shorten her life span and he didn't want to do that.
Her fits seem to be getting worse now, she is having them more frequently and keeps falling over banging her head, the other day she fell over whilst fitting and twisted her leg and was clearly in pain with it
We are conflicted as to whether to start her on medication or not, the vet says as long as she doesn't seem to be in pain theres no need for the medication, but he fits are getting worse and sometimes she has one every few mins. I don't want to shorten her life with us, but I don;t want her to suffer
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 03:39 PM
At 14 I wouldn't be worried about long term side effects of tablets . The only thing I would be worried about is quality of life .
To me at that age I would rather they lived 3 months in comfort than 6 months where they would be suffering to any extent .
If you feel that medication is required then ask the vet for it . You are the one who knows your dog best .
I currently have a 15 year old dog in reasonable health and a 14 year old in fairly poor health but who is having all the medication she needs and I am not worried about side effects .
Good luck with your dog .
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 04:17 PM
its a difficult one {{hugs}}

as phenobarbitone can be difficult to get right and you may have a 'zonked' dog till then... also if her liver is already compromised you dont want to accelerate the problem.... as feeling toxic(sick) from that can be bad enough.
the worry is what is causing theses fits as its prob unlikely to be ie..are they related to the liver problems she already has? my other worry would be tumour.....

how frequent are these fits,what are the circumstances?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-11-2010, 04:53 PM
I`m surprised the vet has taken this attitude, at 14 yrs of age, surely quality of live is the most important thing, the meds may shorten her life if they have a detrimental effect on her already compromised liver , but to allow her to continue to have fits seems unfair to me.

Sorry the first thing I would do, would be speaking to my vet again, and if they wont act, find another one that will.

If medication is a 100% no no, for whatever reason, then I would have to ask myself, am I doing the right thing in allowing my dog to go on having fits at such an old age.

I agree, quality of life is the most important thing, even with a short outcome..
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 05:04 PM
She doesn't have them every day, some days she doesn't have any, other days it feels like one after another.
She snaps out of them pretty quickly and is back to herself again almost the moment she wakes up.
She is still interested in life and goes for walks, she does about a mile a day. She likes her treats and food and can get in and out of the house and such.
I am a little worried they have got worse recently as my other dog died, she basically raised him since the day he was born and they were best friends, and now we have introduced another dog.

I believe her liver damage is from the use of Metacam, she had a cruciate operation at about 9 years old, and last year she had a lump the size of a grapefruit removed from her other back leg.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 09:32 AM
My concern would be why she is having the seizures. Seizures that start at an old age, that are not metabolic in nature (i.e related to hepatic encepholopathy, etc) are usually due to tumor in the brain. If thats the case, then the meds won't help much if at all.

Sorry you are going through this. Its hard to watch them getting older.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 10:09 AM
The vet thinks they are because of the stroke, and possibly mini strokes she keeps having.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
The vet thinks they are because of the stroke, and possibly mini strokes she keeps having.
Then I would have her on the medication so she is seizure free for whatever time she has left.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
.... unlikely sorry
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Why is that unlikely?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >