Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2005, 01:39 PM

mammary cancer in elderly Yorkshire Terrier + update

Hi There, Im new on here today. It's been a bit of a tough couple of days, I have two lovely dogs a tiny yorkie who will be 13 in feb and a staffy who will be 6 next may. my little yorkie 'Heidi' has been off colour for a couple of days, she has never been neutered and has had phantom pregnancies in the past, she swells up underneath, this time i noticed she was quite swollen and had been keeping an eye on it. i finished work on thurs around 2pm and went to check on her when i lifted her up to check her tummy i noticed a 'sore' which i suspected was an ulcer, i was horrified and when my husband came home he took her straight to the vet, i couldn't go because i didnt want to get upset in the vets The vet said it was mammary cancer immediately and has given us antibiotics and some tablets to stop her phantom pregnancy symptoms and i have to bathe the ulcer with salt water and get some savlon. she has to go back thurs next week (10 nov) I dont know what will happen then but im dreading it, the thought of losing my little baby, she has been with me for 13 years i was only 19 when i got her before i had even met my husband, she was there with us when we got married. I have since read that neutering at a young age reduces the chance of them getting mammary cancer and i wish i had known this back then. sorry to ramble on so much and thanks for reading.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Can it be cureed/removed? if not then be assured heid, although it will be terribly sad, will remeber that she ahd 13 love filled cosy happy years with an owner who adores her to peices and she will know you have done your best for her...

We are all here for you if you need us

Hugs and Kisses

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)))))) )))))))))))))))

Alex and China

XXX
kez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Thankyou for you kind words it is much appreciated. The vet said he wouldn't operate.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 02:25 PM
It's awful watching your closest friends get old, I know how you feel. Re China's question on removing it - can this be done? I know that it gets more difficult to operate on the old ones but it may be an option your vet may suggest. Good luck and remember that you've given her the best life possible, just keep her happy and comfortable and follow the vet's advice, but always ask questions. x
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by kez
Thankyou for you kind words it is much appreciated. The vet said he wouldn't operate.

are there other vets that would?...it may be something but then older smaller dogs and anaesthetic may not be good outcome...
kez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm going to have a talk with the vet Thursday and see what the option's are but im afraid that her size (she's tiny) and her age are against her. It's great being on here,I found Dogweb the other day when i was looking for info on mammary cancer it's really helping being able to talk about it with you, im finding it very hard at the mo, im a bit of an emotional wreck silly as it sounds..
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2005, 02:42 PM
We will all be here for you whenever you need to chat. Fingers crossed for your baby.
kez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Thankyou for all your support.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Sorry to hear about Heidi kez, it must be so hard for you right now

We're all here if you need a chat.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 02:56 PM
its perfectly normal to be "an emotional wreck" i was yesterday and china wasnt event that sick!!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >