Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2007, 08:46 PM

is one meal a day ok?

Hi Guys

Otis (2.5year old staffy) has gone off his food. NOt completely - mailnly breakfast wont eat it! tried changing brands adding wet food, but dont want to get a fussy eater on my hands.

He is not too bad by the evening - so is it ok to just increase his night time feed and just feed once a day?

jodie
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Jodie, before you get any replies on this one. I bet you get a hundred different answers lol. I feed once, but theres always some left in the bowl which if they want will eat in the morning. I feed dry so its not a problem leaving it
Regards John
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Max goes off his food when the weather is warm...

I put his brekkie down in a morning and 80% of the time, he doesn't eat it.

Since it's dry, I take it up after 20 mins and give it back again in the afternoon.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by john100 View Post
Jodie, before you get any replies on this one. I bet you get a hundred different answers lol.
How true John! It will be interesting to see how this thread goes.

Personally I split Max's meals into 3 small ones a day but having said that he is deep chested & I worry about bloat.

If you're not sure about just feeding him once a day could you reduce his breakfast meal & increase his evening meal to see if that helps?

Just out of interest, it is since the weather has finally started getting warmer that he has gone off his food?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Well mine would go MENTAL if they had once per day! Maddy pesters enough as it is on 2 a day and I was thinkin of doing 3 but it ties you to the house around lunchtime so i'm undecided.

Then mine are deep chested too and bloat is a concern if I gave them 1 big meal a day.
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Its got worse since its getting hotter, but for the last 3/4 months he has been playing up. he was on JWB then went off it so i added Natures Diet then went off it and only thing he would eat is Scince plan nature with some natures menu - now he is being fussy again and hardly eating.

Never had a dog before so not too sure what to do. He is usually ready to eat anything - he is 21kilos so not skinny and starving!

jodie
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 09:12 PM
What to feed your dog and how often to feed is a very personal choice & as John says, everyone will have a different opinion on it.

Maybe Otis isn't keen on the food you are offering or maybe he is holding out in the hope of something better! We tried various compete foods with Max, several he got bored of very quickly. We tried JWB but he wouldn't even eat it with wet mixed in when we were making the change to it. Burns has been the only complete food he has been happy to eat long term.

If you're concerned it may be worth having a word with your vet to see if there is any reason why his appetite seems less.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 09:17 PM
A lot of dogs do fine on one meal a day, just be aware of signs of bloat if you are feeding dry, or add some water before he eats it and then he won't eat so much and have it expand later in his tummy.

I wouldn't keep swapping his food unless after a considerable amount of time he starts loosing weight due to his fussy eating. Most dogs try the 'i'm not eating that' strop, just like kids do, but they will eat it later when they are hungry.

Choose something he likes and just stick with it, if he doesn't eat it take it up and give it him the same time the next day (if you are going for the one meal a day) and hopefully by then he will be STARVING and wolf his dinner down! It won't hurt him at all to go hungry for a day if he is completely healthy. Might teach him to be less fussy.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Beware of the constant food changing, as 9 times out of 10 it leads to a fussy eater. My boy is a very fussy eater himself, but I've gone into the 'put the food down for 20 minutes, then take it up' routine and it does work.

Once he realises that he doesn't get anything else, and it's not there for him to pick at throughout the day, he will eat it. I used to leave his food down all day, but he ate less of it then and I found it hard to keep an eye on his eating habits.

Find a good quality food that works for you and stick with it

Max goes off his food in the warmer weather, he has hardly touched his breakfast or dinner today just to worry his mum! He normally hardly touches his breakfast at the moment. After 20 minutes I take his breakfast up, and pop it in the cupboard. Then I just add his dinner to the bowl in the evening, put that down for 20 minutes and then take that up aswell. He normally eats most of it by dinner time.

People have different opinions about how many times a day to feed a dog, and some things work better than others for some people. If you find that feeding once a day works for you, then fine - just be aware that bloat is more common when feeding all in one go. You may find that he is better at eating twice in the winter.

Good luck
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 09:58 PM
suki get one meal a day but gets scraps and tip bits through out the day
ATD xxx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >