Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 02:25 PM

We tried to save an injured Deer

Yesterday we were running the dogs in the forest and we spotted something trapped in the wire fencing separating a field. I ran forward and realised it was a deer - Her back leg was caught at the top of the wire fencing and she was hanging by it with her body layed on the ground

It was quite a shock to see and I'm sure the dogs felt our rush of anxiety and adrenaline - we were very close by the time we saw her and it wasn't a case of recall being an issue as we were almost right by the deer by the time we saw what was there. So the dogs were with us. But got to her first - she was the other side of the fencing. Now Keena stood and play barked and was just acting frisky and very alert - no problem. But Takoda stuck his head through the fence gripped on to her rear end and started really tugging on her - I couldn't believe it. He pulled out some fur on inspection and made her bleed This all happened so quickly within seconds. We were literally right behind them - didn't want to shout and scare the poor deer which was already screaming out so loud due to being so frightened of being trapped - the injury she already had to the leg which was caught and our approach (I wont forget those screams).

This all happened in a blink of an eye...Dawn shouted at Takoda 'leave' and he instantly dropped his grip - I got him and Keena onlead and walked them far enough away and then tied them to a fence post and was getting them to try to focus on me and sit and just calm back down because they were really whipped up in excitement. Dawn was attending to the deer. She called the vets and asked them if they would help as they say on their adverts that they help wildlife in distress. They said so long as you can get it to us as no one could come out! There was no initial way to free the deer from the fencing so Dawn took the dogs the 1/2 to 1 mile back to the truck to see if we had any tools and I stayed closeish to the deer but not so close to have it see me just so I could make sure nobody / other dogs went near (even though the area is pritty deselet)

Dawn took forever and it was getting dark so I ran all the way back to where the truck was parked and there was no truck or Dawn so I legged it all the way back and she was there - She had tried to get the truck closer to where the deer was down a different track but it was blocked off by three large fallen pine trees (fell in the winds the other week) so she left the truck there and left the dogs inside. She had already freed the deer - we didn't have any tools only a multi tool which broke as soon as she tried using that as the wire was really thick, so she somehow just used her hands to pry this wire away which was like a vice around the deers leg The deer was so scared but stopped screaming once her leg was free - we only ever whispered when we had to talk so as not to scare her anymore.

Dawn put a blanket over the deer, covered her head and eyes picked her up and went to pass her to me - I hadn't ever held a deer before and was scared of her wriggling free and hurting herself more but I only doubted for a second before taking her - boy she was heavy! She was a fallow deer - not huge - probably a bit bigger than Keena and obviously with longer legs - dawn said she was a yearling - but in the way that we had to carry her it made her feel probably much heavier than she was. Once over the fence I passed her back to Dawn and she became to heavy for her after a while so I took her again - and we had to take turns carrying her all the way back to the truck - She got too heavy and we were knackered so I took my coat off and tried to make something a bit more substantial with the coat and blanket (neither quite big enough on their own) to carry her in so we could both take the weight - didn't really work so we just ended up holding her one at a time again When Dawn was carrying her I was holding her head up and I was trying not to look at her as I didn't want to get attached incase she didn't make it but the cover came away from her face and I looked at her little head in my hands and she was so sweet (to late for not getting attached) She was so trusting.

We had been with the deer for about 2 hours already so far - I was bonded. When the truck was insight I could hear the dogs howling and barking away (wondering what the hell was going on), I was holding the deer and told Dawn to run ahead and get the dogs out and take them further up the track and tie them to a post so they wouldn't spook the deer - she got so heavy while I was waiting I had to fall to one knee as I was worried about letting her slip - she got heavier still so I dropped the other knee while not letting her move an inch and just sort of ended up in a heap while still hugging on to this deer and keeping her still. The truck ended up not being much closer than it was to begin with about 3/4 of a mile so we had walked a fair distance carrying her. Dawn got the back opened up and took the deer and layed her inside. I told Dawn to just leave me and the dogs and go but she didn't want to as it was now dark. So I said maybe if we cover the deer up enough the dogs will calm down. The deer was in where the dogs normally go and I got in on the back seat and had Keena next to me and Kody got in the front seat and I held both leads tight so they couldn't move and look where the deer was. I prayed the deer wouldn't try to get up - I should have been in the back with her but then it would have drawn to much attention to her from the dogs. If she would have gotten up it would have been a bloody massacre in my truck because the dog guard is useless and Kody had made it fall down on our way out - I dread to think of that scene. We drove down the dirt tracks to get back out the forest (trucks come in handy!) and the deer didn't move. Finally got out on the highway and drove the 20 mins to the vets. I said to Dawn if she can survive all of this so far she will be ok and I really thought she would be dead on arrival. She wasn't. Dawn jumped out at the vets and scooped her up and took her into the vets - dogs got all wound up again and I stayed with them. Dawn and the vet I could see inside the practise and they took the deer down a corridor as they walked away I saw the deer raise her head and look back at me with those gorgeous eyes I smiled knowing she was going to be ok because if the fear hadn't killed her by now she must be strong and a real fighter not to mention so brave.

Dawn was gone for a while. She came back out and got in the truck and I said I can't believe she survived through all of that and began to get happy that she was ok and Dawn said for all the good it did as tears rolled down her face.

The vet took a very quick look at the deers leg and in the harsh lighting you could see she was cut all the way to the bone all the way around her leg of a width of about 2" he said all the nerves would be destroyed and there was no saving her leg and her leg was cold and without further a do he got the lethal injection ready while Dawn was still holding her and petting her keeping her calm and he gave the poor little deer the injection It had no affect she was fighting to live and he gave her a second injection and she fought that - she was not ready to die - Dawn was distraught now but staying calm and wishing she had not let the vet inject so quick thinking this just isn't right. He gave her a third injection and still she held on and he was flicking around those gorgeous big eyes to see her response - Dawn couldn't take it anymore and even though she has always lived a hunting life growing up in the midwest of America, she was so upset.

I haven't mentioned that she had a appointment at the dr's which she was now 10 mins over due for. She said to the vet I have to leave. The deer had still not died the poor little mite. Dawn went into the reception and they told her she needed to call the rspca to report the incident and tell them where the body would be so they could collect it otherwise it would cost them £50 to incinerate. GRRR. I know it's what had to be done etc but that seemed so cold after we fought for the last 2 to 3 hours to save her life and bonded with her only to watch her be put to sleep with no less than three attempts. We left the vets and went on to the Dr's. Both covered in blood. I stayed in the truck and Dawn went in. I sat there taking stock and in a bit of shock at everything that had just happened for about 2 or so minuets and then just began to cry really hard as it all caught up with me as up until that point we stayed so calm just doing what needed to be done.

The receptionists at the Dr's looked at Dawn as though she had lost her mind. Bear in mind all that had happened, she looked fairly disheveled not to mention the blood and that seconds ago she was having tears. She went and cleaned up and had her appointment and we came home.

I haven't really stopped having tears in fits and starts since to be honest. I can't believe that poor deer went through all of that with us and we put our hearts and soles into saving her life for that outcome - I know worse sh*t happens everyday but I can't get past the fact it took three plus lethal injections to put her to sleep - I can't help thinking something could be done if she had of been taken to the right people and I know she was not ready to die it breaks my heart so much and I feel like we let her down and it's my fault. What if her leg was just cold for the fact she had been hanging upside down by it for god knows how long before we found her? Or through shock to the system...I hate that Kody tugged at her and I don't know what he meant by it. If he was wild I would say it was wild instinct kicking in but our dogs are not supposed to be like that right? If he was wild I would say it was nature doing it's turn to help this injured deer that wasn't going to make it. But Kody is my pet he shouldn't have done that should he? Did he mean her harm or not? I don't know. I'm trying to get over what happened with the deer in general and at the same time disliking myself that Kody went to harm it even more than it was. What was that about? I'm beating myself up about the whole thing really and I just keep seeing her in my mind and how gorgeous she was. Before we moved here I had rarely even seen deer from a distance before. We get to see them every day in herds now. Never seen one close up in the wild though, yet I held this one for all that time, petted her fur and held her head up while she put all her trust in us. She was in such tip top condition other than her injuries she was just beautiful.

I feel so dumb for feeling so upset but can't help it - I know it's because all that we went through from start to finish to help her though. But the worst thing is that she just wasn't near ready to go and I don't think she should have. It really hurts that it took more than three attempts to put her to sleep and I can't change anything now but we trusted the vet and had she gone with the first attempt I would feel awful still but not nearly as bad. She put all her trust in us and I let her down. Can't stop thinking about it. She was so sweet

*sigh*

R.I.P poor little deer
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Oh Mys I am crying myself reading it all. You fought so hard for her to live I can tell. All I can say to you both is that you did more than your best for that poor thing and you will get your reward a thousand times. Just imagine what she would have gone through if you hadn't have been there, it just doesn't bear thinking about.
Kody's instincts kicked in that was all, he is after all an animal that follows his instincts. The fact that he came away when you shouted at him says a lot for the bond you have with them both.
Please don't beat yourself up about this, you were there to help the deer when you were needed most and that is what counts. The vet did what he had to do. Maybe there was no one he knew of that could take her in and bring her back to health, she may have had to have her leg amputated and been kept captive for the rest of her life, so maybe in the long term it was the best thing.
Big hugs to you both.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 02:44 PM
What a heart wrenching tale.

You both did so much, made such huge efforts to help the deer. Don't feel bad, feel proud that you enabled her to die having had such help. Because of you and Dawn that deer did not die alone, trapped and frightened outside.

You did a good thing, a very good thing. xx
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks so much TW and Trish your nice comments really mean alot. I just can't help filling up every time I see her little face and think about what happened to her - bless her heart
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Gosh what a tearfull tale

You did such a good thing for that dear. Please dont be to hard on yourself. RIP little dear
Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Oh that is so awful, you really did all that you could and more. You should be proud that you helped her when she was in dire need she spent her last couple of hours with two loving people who would have moved the earth to help her.
Hope you are feeling better soon x
shirls
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:18 PM
You must be heartbroken. But what else could you have done. The alternative would have been to leave her trapped to die a long slow painful death. At least she died quickly and peacefully and I'm sure she knew you both helped her. Well done to you both. Sweet dreams little deer.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:20 PM
You did everything you could have in the circumstances. Just imagine how much suffering that poor deer had gone through already and how much more if it hadn't been found.
Big Hugs to you.
Becky
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

31-01-2007, 03:38 PM
You did as much as could be expected and if it makes it any easier, I wouldn't worry about what your dog did. One of mine did the exact same thing.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:43 PM
You did a wonderful thing and spent so long trying to help the deer that no wonder you are now dreadfully upset - I would be too.

You just have to console yourself with the fact that you did all you could
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >