Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JakeRS
New Member!
Male 

05-02-2017, 04:05 PM

Dachs, Beagle or something else?

My dog is 8, 9 years old and I still can't figure out the breed, so hopefully someone can help me. Most people say that its a dachshund, but he looks too big and tall for one, he's not really long and thin, but his head does look like a dachs.

Another breed that kinda resembles him is the Beagle, but again not entirely, plus I don't think that Beagles come in brown. He's not entirely brown though, he has white fur around the lower part of all legs, so it looks like he has socks.

I tried even googling for a dachs beagle mix, but even they don't look like him enough and I haven't found any that have the same color like him.

The last picture is from 2010 I think, so he was 2 years old (more or less) back then
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2017, 07:47 PM
I would say that he is a Dachs, - those feet and the leg wrinkles are very characteristic of the breed, though he is stronger in head. He may not be purebred, or he may be a Teckel - the older working strain of Dachshund which used to be quite common in Germany.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by JakeRS View Post
My dog is 8, 9 years old and I still can't figure out the breed, so hopefully someone can help me.
He looks happy. And, if you are happy with him, does his breed matter?
JakeRS
New Member!
Male 

05-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
He looks happy. And, if you are happy with him, does his breed matter?
I am extremely happy, that's actually the reason why I want to know the breed, dogs don't live forever unfortunately and eventually I'll have to find a new one and I'd love to have one just like him, he's playful, but not in the annoying way, he's smart, doesn't attack or bark on anyone,etc, so he has all the things that a nice family dog should have and I'd like to be safe when I buy a new one.

My cousins have a pure Beagle, he looks cute, they take good care of him, but he gets too aggressive sometimes, damages furniture and I think that he even attacked his owner, who is a nice quiet lady, so I don't want to experiment and have that happen.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2017, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by JakeRS View Post
I am extremely happy, that's actually the reason why I want to know the breed, dogs don't live forever unfortunately and eventually I'll have to find a new one and I'd love to have one just like him, he's playful, but not in the annoying way, he's smart, doesn't attack or bark on anyone,etc, so he has all the things that a nice family dog should have and I'd like to be safe when I buy a new one.

My cousins have a pure Beagle, he looks cute, they take good care of him, but he gets too aggressive sometimes, damages furniture and I think that he even attacked his owner, who is a nice quiet lady, so I don't want to experiment and have that happen.
Understandable. But a tale I have told before.....
The dog I had growing up was a friendly and gentle fellow.
His brother was the just opposite. Mean tempered. Same breed, same litter, entirely different temperaments,
LestarAsh
New Member!
Male 

04-06-2017, 12:53 PM
He is unique.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by LestarAsh View Post
He is unique.
Exactly! And this fact should be celebrated ... rather than wasting time and energy wondering what he is, or is not; he cannot be replaced, no 2 dogs are the same.