register for free

Dog News

Is it okay to eat dogs?

...has received 16 comments (page 2)
westiesbestie
New Member!
Male 

22-11-2016, 02:30 PM
I read this title and I thought this can't be for real! Lets pray that this is stopped, but I won't hold my breath. grrrr
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2016, 03:55 PM
The man that Mrs. M speaks of was a millionaire until his dog went missing. In an attempt to recover it, he went to local slaughterhouses that dealt with dogs, and ended up buying their dogs. He now cares for all of these dogs - and presumably is no longer a millionaire!
A truly kind and well intentioned man. I just hope that he has sufficient resources and helpers to continue providing suitable living conditions for the rest of these dogs lives.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2016, 04:22 PM
I was in the Far East (Taiwan) for eight months The Chinese guy next door to me had two beautiful Chows which he kept locked away during Chinese festivals.

It would seem that some of the Chinese themselves are all in favour of their dogs being eaten.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
I was in the Far East (Taiwan) for eight months The Chinese guy next door to me had two beautiful Chows which he kept locked away during Chinese festivals.

It would seem that some of the Chinese themselves are all in favour of their dogs being eaten.
If you read the early history of the Chow you'll find as well as being used as an all purpose farm dog, they were also reared for their pelt and as meat for human consumption..
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
If you read the early history of the Chow you'll find as well as being used as an all purpose farm dog, they were also reared for their pelt and as meat for human consumption..
No wonder the guy locked them away!

Perhaps a slightly amusing story from that same visit.

We had one English language newspaper. I think it was called The Taipei Times. One ad in it was the opening of a new restaurant.

Their speciality dish was Human Meat.
Of course, it was a typo.
They meant Hunan Meat.
Jas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Putting the animal cruelty aside, I have to ask what makes it ok to eat one animal over another? Why is ok to eat pigs, cows and sheep but not horses or dogs? All animals experience joy, love, pain and fear.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Putting the animal cruelty aside, I have to ask what makes it ok to eat one animal over another? Why is ok to eat pigs, cows and sheep but not horses or dogs? All animals experience joy, love, pain and fear.
Good question.
I grew up on a farm that had sheep and cattle in quite large numbers. So maybe I come at it from a different perspective.

These animals would not have existed in the first place if there wasn't a market for them. And, quite possibly, some of the farms wouldn't exist either.

Horsemeat isn't very populat in the UK otherwise horses would be farmed just like beef cattle. But you can buy it in this country.

From an on-line butcher:

"Compared to our top quality 5oz Beef Fillets that have 8g of fat, these delicious Horse Fillets have just 0.5g and taste like beef but much richer!"
Interesting mixture of units there - 5oz is about 142g.

Dog meat I don't know about. I haven't tried it - at least not knowingly................

And, just to be clear, I am against cruelty to any animils.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top