Our sister sites
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2014, 04:43 PM

Favourite Meal

Hi everyone,
I'm after picking your brains.
My OH hasn't eaten meat for 32 years (yes, thirty two) and has quite suddenly - well about Easter - started to again. I'm at a bit of a loss as to come up with stuff to cook for us. As a teenager, I didn't eat meat either and didn't learn how to make many meat dishes. When I did start to eat meat again I ate out more than I did in due to my circumstances at the time.
Then I hooked up with current partner nearly 20 years ago and didn't bother cooking meat just for me. We ate a lot of fish and a lot of meat substitute as well as purely vegetable dishes.
I have looked in quite a few cook books and stuff but am really lacking inspiration.
Perhaps you would be good enough to share the merits of your favourite meaty meals with me. Thanks.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-07-2014, 07:28 PM
How about Steak with roasted veg?

It's easy - just chop up some veg such as courgettes, marrow, onions, butternut squash and place on a baking tray. Add plenty of duck fat, salt n pepper and sprinkle lots of mixed herbs.

Gas mark 6, and stir every 20 minutes (will take about an hour) when nearly done, fry your steaks.

It's lurverly
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Sausage and mash
Full English breakfast

(my two favourites)

All the stuff you used substitutes for you could just substitute back to using the real thing
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Fajitas chicken or beef, always a favorite here and easy, quick to cook
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2014, 11:15 PM
I enjoy Salmon Salad immensely. Easy for rubbish cooks like me. Grill or bake a few slabs of Salmon Fillet (or you can use Salmon Burgers) and just kinda break it up into bits. Best to use mesquite flavor... but you can use normal.

For the salad... get some spinach, and romaine (no yucky iceberg) along with thinly sliced carrots, onions, tomatoes, and watercress. Add in a bit of chopped broccoli, some black olives if you like them and a half a handful of chick peas straight from the can. Mix with Salmon.

Top it with the crumbled or shredded cheese of your choice (I like crumbled Bleu), a few almond and orange slices, some Italian croutons with dried cranberry and the dressing of your choice (Cesar suits this best IMO) and serve.

I love it every time
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Ooooh I'm hungry now!

Azz - what sort of steak should I buy?

Chris - Love sausages and the butcher here makes his own. I will go and investigate.

Bugleysprince - We love fajitas too and usually have prawn so chicken or beef sounds great.

Mjfromga - we eat lots of salmon I think it's wonderful and I absolutely love the sound of your salad.

Thanks so much. I feel inspired!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2014, 11:05 AM
chicken in a tin...

chop vegetables of your choice - thrown in roasting tin
put a couple of chicken thighs on top and throw in oven for about an hour take out chuck on some sundried tomatos in oil and some crumbled feta and stick back in for a few minutes

lush and minimal washing up!

lunchtime yip yip!
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Lovin' the lack of washingup Dobermonkey not to mention sounding scrummy. Thank you!