Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 11:05 PM

Freecycle

I got an Email this morning from Freecycle :-

hiya everyone, we have decided to allow posts for a short period of time for animal re-homing, we have decided this as it is coming up to christmas and people are looking to re-home a dog, cat etc also a lot of animals this time of year are not wanted and rather than them being left without a home we would like them to have a chance, please only put a post on if you are willing to keep the pet forever and for members trying to find a home please make sure you check to see if the pet will be going to a good home, now we understand that some members wont be happy that we are allowing this but we are doing it so ensure that unwanted pets will go to good homes over this period.

It seems there had been quite a bit of argument about it so later I got this Email

We have had numerous people contact us regards the animal posting being allowed over xmas. Some applauding the fact that maybe animals in poor homes now may get re homed to better ones and some pointing out the awful things that can and does happen to animals offered for free on sites like ours. Having reviewed the decision and taken everyones points on board we feel it is not worth taking the risk of some of the horrible things that just MAY happen to even 1 animal.We have decided to backtrack on this and hope everyone understands where we are coming from.
Just to ram home the message I have copied a post from one concerned member below so that you all understand where we are coming for on this final decision.

"Its well known in dog welfare circles that illegal dog fighting rings get their bait dogs from classifieds, they do not discriminate and use large and small dogs- puppies- kittens -Any nature, it isnt neccesary for the animal to be aggresive - its just a canine punchbag after all - in fact any living creature for their fighting dog to practice on.

A lady who gave her Golden retriever away to a supposedly loving home, got a call only 2 weeks later from the RSPCA that had found her dead dog in a dog fighting establishment, tied up and its muzzle duck taped after it had been mauled to death by other dogs. The microchip was still holding her previous owners address.

Unless these risks are known people will continue to trust when they allow their dog to leave with a stranger, I was surprised by the amount of people advertising their dogs that had no idea this was going on
The other risks of giving dogs away are huge - they can be used for breeding in puppy farms living a lightless life of nothingness, a lot of puppy farm dogs if lucky enough to survive and be rescued are terrified of human beings and physically ill or injured - they literally are money making breeding machines.

I regularly check classifieds and email people the risks, however I can only do so much alone, so thought if I spread the word on here I may be able to get some help with doing this - after all every one dog that is saved from such torture is a life saved and to that animal is everything, they rely on us."

Seems they do listen after all. & well done to those that got in touch with Freecycle
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 11:14 PM
So sad,these poor dogs are losing their chance at finding a good home because of people I can only describe as monsters Horrific what's going on..that poor GR,may he rest in peace
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Its always the minority morons that spoil it for everybody else
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Thats absolutely dreadful about the Golden Retriever, poor poor thing, can't believe that there are such people in this world.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 11:58 PM
poor woman! What a nasty shock, to find out she'd sent her dog to it's demise rather than the loving home she had wanted for it. So so sad
I'm so pleased to hear that they back tracked on their decision.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 10:24 AM
That's so horrible. But that's just freecycle. There are plenty of sites where you can still get a pet for free or very cheap (gumtree for example). I guess it's just up to the owner to thoroughly check where their pet goes ends up. But I understand that it's difficult and you can't always know 100%.
Maybe spreading awareness about this will prevent people from getting pets over christmas.. who knows.
I don't know what I would do if I ever had to find a new home for Ella. Fingers crossed I'll never be in that situation.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 10:30 AM
If they've changed their minds about this DREADFUL idea - good!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 05:39 PM
What a terrible idea. At least they've changed their mind about this, that's good.