Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2013, 08:17 AM

Petition

I apologise in advance if this is in wrong place/not allowed. Please move/delete, as appropriate. But PLEASE view and sign petition. I am amazed it isn't doing better......

http://www.petitions24.com/ban_tail_...ogs_in_ireland

My main concern is that if members of the public have a go at removing dew claws and tails, there will be unnecessary suffering, disfigurement, infection and possibly death. Let along the issue of lack of anaesthesia.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2013, 10:23 AM
The first time I met one of my SILs she told me that she took the dew claws off and docked the puppies she bred, she was also breeding from a dog that had cataracts when she was a year old. She insisted that puppies couldn't feel pain but after I threatened to report her to the RSPCA if she did it again she promised she would get a vet to do it again, my brother made sure she did. Obviously we never got on
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Well done! Its all greed and ignorance and if threats work to stop them, use threats.

But laws need to change to protect the innocent.
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2013, 10:17 PM
UPDATE: http://www.petitions24.com/a/63497
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Signed..........
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The first time I met one of my SILs she told me that she took the dew claws off and docked the puppies she bred, she was also breeding from a dog that had cataracts when she was a year old. She insisted that puppies couldn't feel pain but after I threatened to report her to the RSPCA if she did it again she promised she would get a vet to do it again, my brother made sure she did. Obviously we never got on
MOST breeders with traditionally docked breeds (and dew claw removal) did it themselves, and even those who got a vet to do it, the vet did it the same way the breeder would, without any form of pain relief

Not sure why the threat of the RSPCA would have been a deterrent, if it was before the ban,

Most vets who performed the docking would have done it in the breeders home, so maybe you should have reported them too.

But if it was before the ban, then there was nothing to report.

Having puppies docked and de-clawed work like this, (when only vets could do it) you got in touch with the Council of docked breeds(unless you already knew the vet) they put you onto a vet who did it, he/she phoned you and arranged to come to your home, where he/she would perform the operation, I guess its still the same with those who dock their working breeds.... not many vets (if any) would do the docking in a surgery .
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2013, 10:34 PM
QUOTE Petitions 24 "Breaking News: Nov 22, 2013, 13:32
At the AGM of Veterinary Ireland this morning, Mr Simon Coveney TD, Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine announced that under the new Animal Health and Welfare Act 2013 the docking of dogs Tails and removal of Dew Claws by non veterinary professionals will NOT be permitted.

Minister Conveney also confirmed that any procedures carried out for purely cosmetic reasons will also NOT be permitted.

Consideration will be given to the docking of certain breeds but ONLY if scientific evidence shows that it is of a welfare benefit. (Hopefully as there is no evidence (that I am aware of) this won't happen).

THANK YOU from the tip of every (soon to be long) wagging tail to each and every person who took the time to sign and share this petition (some of you many times!), especially Pete the Vet!!

A lot of "behind the scences" hard work, negotiations, evidence collecting and presentation was carried out by Dogs Trust, the ISPCA, the Irish Blue Cross and Veterinary Ireland in the drafting of the Animal Welfare Act 2013 and at the recent Oireachtas meeting over the planned amendment of the Act to permit members of the public to dock tails and remove dew claws so a HUGE well done to them!!
"

THEN Update Nov 21, 2013, 20:18
Just to let you know I received correspondence from the Department of Agriculture stating that:

"Animal Welfare, Veterinary and Groups associated with Hunting & Pest Control have provided views on this issue of tail docking of dogs' tails and these views will be considered in the new regulations"

Please continue to share the petition, as of yet no decision has been made either way and public opinion is VERY important.

Hopefully the next time I contact you, will be to advise an outright ban is to be implemented.

Thank you so much for signing the petition, it's great to see so many people care!