Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 04:40 PM

New Ex Battery Hens

Hey,

As some of you probably know we got 15 ex battery hens from someone who rescues them about a month ago. Sadly we lost one after a couple of days But all of the others are doing really well so we decided to get some more! We were going to go through the rescue again but couldn't get hold of anyone.. Then my mum found something about a battery farm who were getting rid of their hens, so thought she'd give that a ring. It turns out that they were closing it all down and any of the 6000 chickens that weren't sold were due to be slaughtered over the next few weeks

So.. We went along, planning to get 8-10. Then i found 2 really pathetic looking ones that i had to have.. and then there was another cute one.. and another.. etc lol So then we had 15. Then on the way out i saw one that was begging to be taken too! She looked desperate to get out of the cage.. So i managed to talk my mum into having her as well! So we now have 30 chickens

I have to say, it was certainly an experience getting them directly from the battery farm. It wasn't as appalling as id thought it would be, everything was very clean and the birds had food and water, but there were about 5 in tiny little cages and they were getting pecked and stood one, poor things..

Anyway, heres the pics. I will warn you that there are some in really terrible condition, but others aren't so bad

Heres the one i HAD to have, she's in quite a bad state, but such a curious happy little thing I need a name for her.

Another nosey one lol

and this is my mums, its SO cuddly

and finally, a VERY lucky chicken. This was the one i had to talk my mum into taking! She's not in bad condition but seems SO glad to be out of the cages!

bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 04:44 PM
aww well done to you and your mum for taking the chickens and giving them a new home,i love chickens they got a personality of there own its so nice to see them running around instead of cooped up in cages without no space to move
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Wow Jessica

They do look a bit bad s ome of them huh?

Good on you and your mum for saving them..
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 04:51 PM
well done jess :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
them poor chickens
but at least they will live the rest of their lives in luxury

we are gonna get a few more too
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Chickens are great fun! Whenever they see us come out of the house they come running up! and they LOVE being handled, they're just like little parrots or something, they love a scratch

There's another couple that are also in a pretty bad state, i shall have to get some pics of them. Obviously they're all a bit stressed out so i didn't want to pester them too much with the camera.

And they more than pay for themselves with the eggs thaey lay for us. We were getting between 7 and 12 eggs a day from the original 14 and just put some eggs for sale today to see if people would be interested and we sold all 18 we had for sale We do give most of them away to neighbours and friends and relatives though

How many are you planning on getting Jackie? Theres 6000 around here if you have trouble finding any
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 05:18 PM
jessica we give most of ours away to neighbours and friends too
we maybe getting some that a recue need to rehome jess,am waiting for a phone call,if not i,ll be back in touch
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Ok, well im sure the ones here wont be going anywhere too soon so let me know!
Chilli-Pepper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Hope this is not a mad question, I would love chickens but do they make alot of noise, although we live in a detatched house our garden joins to another houses garden on one side, i have always put off getting chickens worried that they will cause too much noise. we are built on previous farm land in our village so there is nothing in the deeds to stop us but don't want to be a pain to neighbours who we get on very well with.

thanks

:smt035
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Well Done! They look much happier, I think they realise they have landed on thier feet!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Their feathers may be bad, but they look in good body condition, their combs look good and they do seem quite relaxed. My friend has some ex-batteries too, they had feathers missing but with them moulting its to be expected especially considering their age, when batteries get rid of them they are usually due for or in the moult, they lay less eggs so they get rid. Good luck with them, my friend calls hers "The Baldini's!"
Dawn.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >