View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Go to a restaurant where there will be no stress and no washing up. You can all stagger back to yours after for mince pies and brandy
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Order it all in?!

There is a food shop round here doing x-mas dinner, delivered on the day (hot of course)....3 courses for £10 per person!
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2010, 11:32 AM
My mum has always prepped the veg the night before and cooked the turkey the day before.
If youre not fussed about carving the turkey at the table, you can carve and portion it out on the morning, straight into a roasting tin/dish, add a little water, or better still some thinnish gravy, cover with foil and reheat in the bottom of the oven while you are doing your roasties and stuffing, bear in mind it wont need to be in as long as the roasties, adding water/gravy keeps it lovely and moist.
You can then easily transfer each portion of meat to a plate, onto the table and let everyone help themselves to veggies etc..
A tiered steamer will take up a lot less room for your veggies.
Microwave the pud!!

I managed to impress my inlaws this way, albeit with a roast dinner! Both sets of parents came for dinner a few days before our wedding. I had the most unreliable oven, so bought 2 cooked chickens, portioned them, reheated and served as above. Went down a storm!!

For the evening, my mum always serves up sliced meat, salad, cheese, porkpie etc, laid out buffet style so everyone could help themselves.

Best of luck, failing that I would fake illness too!!
x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Marco Pierre White method ! Get you butcher to joint your turkey into legs and a crown. This way you can cook it in loads less time and use a lot less space! You could even just cook the crown if you have enough meat on it! Simples!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Order it all in?!

There is a food shop round here doing x-mas dinner, delivered on the day (hot of course)....3 courses for £10 per person!
Winner!!!!!
mumof5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2010, 11:51 AM
i always do the meat in my slow cooker, that way i cant cook it wrong, give a good base for the gravey and more room in my oven
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I treat it as a normal roast dinner and refuse point blank to stress about it - only year we came near to stress but then turned it to laughter was when I dropped the nut roast as I took it out of the oven ! Turkey eaters were fine but veggies had to have stuffing instead of the nut roast but we managed to laugh about it.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2