Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Pineapples

How can you tell when a pineapple is ripe?
Yeah, yeah, ok I have reached 65 without knowing this important piece of information
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Hi Nippy theoretically if you pull on one of the center leaves it should give way if the fruit is ripe.
However beware over ripe fruits which may feel firm but be brown and over ripe inside.

I find a lot of pineapples are not very good these days. I think they are picked when under ripe then chilled so don't have the chance to ripen correctly and to develop flavour. I try to go for one that has a scent, but not many do.

If your fruit is under ripe it can be retrieved somewhat by making a sugar syrup/adding lemon juice and rum then marinading the diced fruit in the hot syrup
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2013, 11:58 AM
What ya doin with the pineapple then? Please say we're having yummies
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2013, 02:33 PM
No idea - they are rather prickly for manhandling tho! However I am the proud possessor of an acme Pineapple Slicer now! Can't wait to try it out think I'll put some dust sheets down first!

Pineapples are cheap as chips here - as is most other fresh fruit and veg.

** look what I found for you! Good ole YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiHKnzG5ilo
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2013, 04:33 PM
You've reminded me of my childhood here Jen, when we always had a pineapple for Christmas Day at grandma's, stuck in the middle of the table and I couldn't wait for lunch to be over and done with cos they'd all have a bet on how many leaves were on the top lol! That's my family for ya though.

I think if you do as Meg has said with the pulling of the leaves, and I always push it a bit near the leaves just to see if it gives a bit. I've often bought one which has been totally brown inside

I can't eat them anymore, they give me horrendous gut's ache and I used to adore eating a slice of pineapple, always set my teeth off as well, but I wouldn't have any worries about them now would I
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Old thread but then I am old

Just before Christmas the big supermarkets here, Dunne;s, Tesco and Aldi ( never got as far as Lidl) started a price war,,, a whole range of fruit and vegetables at between 5 and 7 CENTS

Melons, easy peeler packs, sprout nets, carrots, parnsips and pineapples.

I made three of the pineapples into jam which wil be on the stall later this year.