View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2005, 04:08 PM

Dog not focusing on me during heelwork - advice please.

I need help...

During leadwalk, Luna isn't focusing on me.

I attended a competition in obedience today (post under training) and we did good We got a ½ "promotion" for the next level, just need one more...

We do have a few miner things, that we need to do better, if we want to get further.

One of the exercises is leadwalking... The exercise is like this:

We go 30 paces straight ahead, turn around and 30 paces back - turn around - walk 10 paces (straight ahead) - turn left and walk 10 paces - turn left again and walk 10 paces. Turn around and walk 10 paces (straight ahead) - turn right and walk 10 paces - turn right and walk 10 paces. We are now back where we started. Turn around again and run 15 paces - turn right and run 15 paces - turn around and run 15 paces - turn left and run 15 paces. Again we are back where we started

During this exercise, Luna is supposed to be following my move.. But Luna is busy sniffing and other things.. and in the turn arounds, she's lacking behind.

I was wondering, if there's some way to teach her to focus on me.. This is one of the things, we can fix without assistance from others...

We need to train the "whatshouldIcallit" where she's supposed to run out and bark at a man. But we need to get her to bark on command first (tried that for 2½ years now - no luck).

But for now the leadwalking is what we are focusing on..

Hope you guys can help.

J
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi J

Could you simply teach her 'watch'? then when you are doing this exercise can you use the command 'watch' so that she look at you?? Or are you not allowed to use other commands while in this exercise??

Maybe at home you could teach her 'watch' and then do lots of practising with using the command while lead training and get it so you don't actually have to say the command?? So that when you guys are at your classes she will watch you while on the lead without you saying watch!...

Gosh I have probably just confused you more than anything...lol

Hope you get what I mean!

(P.S: teaching 'watch' is very easy as well, mine picked it up in seconds...It's just getting them to do it when other things are about that are more interesting!!)
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Hiya Mys

Great idea And no, you didnt confuse me, I got ya I was worried I might confuse you guys, with all that turning

I can use a command before we start, but not during...

Can you give me a hint on how I teach the "watch" command?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-11-2005, 01:23 AM
Hi Jeanette

Training 'watch' is easy. Just have Luna sitting in front of you to start with. Have some small treats close by. Take a treat in your fingers, let her see/sniff it, bring your fingers, with the treat, up from her nose to between your eyes. The instant she makes eye contact say the word "watch' and reward with the treat. You can practice this dozens of times a day, just be careful not to over-feed her

The alternative way is to have a treat in your hand and hold your arm out to your side. The dog will initially look at the hand with the treat. Eventually, not being able to get the treat, the dog will be puzzled and will look at you. The instant she does it is "watch" and reward.

Both methods work. I prefer the first, but pick whichever you like and stick with it - don't try mixing the two.

Re heeling. I find that if you train with food rewards the dog will tend to focus on the hand which gives the treats. My dogs will focus on my left hand when heeling, whether my hand is down by my side, up by my waist, in my pocket, across in front of me, wherever. It doesn't matter now if I actually have treats or not, they still focus.

With your turns, watch your body language. As you turn left drop your left shoulder slightly to give her a signal. On right turns raise your left shoulder slightly. Watch where you are placing your feet as foot position should also help signal a turn. When heeling in a straight line don't look down/round to see where she is. Doing that will cause your shoulder to drop and your dog to lag even more.

When you are training at home encourage her round with you on the turns and give her a reward every single time she is up there with you. You can even put a command on the turns "Left" or "Right" (the commands can be dropped once she has tuned in to your movements).The reward should come the instant you both have completed a successful turn.

If you can get her to focus properly she should keep her head up. Sniffing is natural and dogs should be allowed to do it, but not when working. It can be a reward for paying attention for the few minutes that she is required to heel.

Hope that helps - and is not too confusing
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 02:33 AM
Training 'watch' is easy. Just have Luna sitting in front of you to start with. Have some small treats close by. Take a treat in your fingers, let her see/sniff it, bring your fingers, with the treat, up from her nose to between your eyes. The instant she makes eye contact say the word "watch' and reward with the treat.
This is exactly what I do and the dogs learnt it very fast

I bet by the time your next competition comes up Luna will be watching you like a hawk!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Hi SB

No not confusing at all

I have copied this and will print it out and read it again and again

I actually already use the "left" and "right" command.

And I will have to remember this about the shoulders... That will probablely also do good for agility

Luna already focuses on my left hand, no matter if there's a treat or not in my hand

But I find it a bit hard to figure out, how I am to hold the leash, so that I could have the hand down by my side... I usually have the leash in my left hand.

I cant wait to come home and try this Thank you very much

Jeanette
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

07-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Loop the lead over your right wrist holding it just below the hand loop, and hold your right arm down in a natural position so that the lead is across the front of your body. Have your left hand/arm wherever is most comfortable for you & Luna. Remember, if your rules are the same as ours, not to change hand/arm positions during exercises. If you give a right-hand signal for the drop then you change the lead quickly from right to left and immediately back again once you have given the signal.

Also, once Luna is working well with your left hand down at your side, gradually bring that hand up closer to your waist. Not essential but it looks smart
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Oooh that sounds great..

Will try that aswell

Thank you very much
Carole
Supervisor

07-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Re heeling. I find that if you train with food rewards the dog will tend to focus on the hand which gives the treats. My dogs will focus on my left hand when heeling, whether my hand is down by my side, up by my waist, in my pocket, across in front of me, wherever. It doesn't matter now if I actually have treats or not, they still focus.
This is how Finn learned to walk to heel. Now whenever I put my hand to my side he walks 100% focused on my hand even if there is no treat there.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Yeah I taught Luna that way, but its not hanging on.. I need to train a bit more.