Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-12-2008, 12:48 PM

3 leggered Stag

While walking the dogs yesterday... up in the deer park, we often see deer, and as it was very cold an frosty, they are coming further down scavenging for food..

Right across our path cam a Stag and his girls... except he was missing the lower part of a hind leg

I had to do a double check ....

Anyway, a warden was patrolling in a Land Rover, so I flagged him down..just to make sure he wa aware of him.

He said he is about 3/4 yrs old, has been like that for a couple of yrs now... they think he may have lost his leg on the road...(park runs by a main road)

Have to say, other than the leg, he was healthy, fit and was a fast as the rest.

The warden said in the rutting season, he gives the other stags a run for their money, and copes well with the disability .

Where is the camera when you need it...could not even get a pic with my phone... as I was attempting to keep the dogs under control//

Have been walking there for yrs, and never seen him... will have to keep a eye out in future.. as according tot he warden, his (stag) patch is usually down in the marshlands!!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Amazing how they cope in the "wild" isn't it..

You would think he would be way down the pecking order..

Photos next time please..I love deer in the wild..
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 04:59 PM
We have a 3 and a half legged Stag here too! Front leg damaged though, copes brilliantly and jumps like a Stag!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
We have a 3 and a half legged Stag here too! Front leg damaged though, copes brilliantly and jumps like a Stag!! :mrgreen:

Amazing creatures are`nt they.. he is a fabulous fellow, with his own little harem...

Must take camera or at least phone with me next time.

Trouble is the come on you so quick, and I really need three hands, two to keep the dogs under control and one to take the pic.