Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 02:55 PM

Squirrel control with Terriers.

As asked for, pictures of my two controlling Squirrels. The first was Breeze's first catch, (she had mouthed shot Squirrels) Terriers are lucky to catch a Squirrel on the ground as they usually stick close to trees, this one almost made to safety but was caught. Squirrels do an awful lot of damage to trees/saplings and your house, not a native species either, and do need to be controlled.

Terriers usually get bitten the first time or two and after that too, Squirrels can give serious bites and hang on!

A few more, these three are Tarn working behind a pub and a catch in the yard, who had been plagued with cable damage and loft damage.

Finally Breeze with her "look what Ive got look!"
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Brilliant pics.. does look rather pleased with herself eh.. and quite right too
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 03:28 PM
My first dog Winston was a squireller. He somehow managed to catch loads of them, especially in the autumn when they were gorging on the farmers crops and were too fat to run quickly lol!
Becky
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Great pics! Thanks for posting them. We're lucky in that we've got red squirrels around here but greys are slowly creeping in. There is a cull going on at the moment though.

My springer once got hold of a squirrel and got a deep bite to the lip for the trouble!

Helen
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 03:52 PM
my lot would LOVE to get that close to a squirrel...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Brilliant pics.. does look rather pleased with herself eh.. and quite right too
Yes Ian, chuffed!!

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
My first dog Winston was a squireller. He somehow managed to catch loads of them, especially in the autumn when they were gorging on the farmers crops and were too fat to run quickly lol!
Becky
Was that a Parson Becky? I only ask because a friend has a Poodle that does an equally good job! versatile Poodles are.

Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Great pics! Thanks for posting them. We're lucky in that we've got red squirrels around here but greys are slowly creeping in. There is a cull going on at the moment though.

My springer once got hold of a squirrel and got a deep bite to the lip for the trouble!

Helen
Breeze had a nasty bite above her eye, their teeth are lethal.

I heard about the cull, its about time, have you seen "Squirrel pox?" its awful to see our native species dying in agony from it when the perpetrators are unaffected, and destroying their habitat aswell. Its one reason i do so much work with Squirrels, the day the greys are no more, Ill be very happy and if I had a hand in reducing numbers to make it possible, then thats even better.
Dawn.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 03:54 PM
So after a nip or two... does the dog do anything different in the way it catches them... or is that just a hazzard of the job?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Dawn, out of interest, how are the squirrels killed? Do the dogs do it and are they effective? I'm not getting funny on you I promise :smt002 as I'm imagining that method would be more pleasant than poison? Possibly less risky to other animals too? Actually..quite interested for a veggie tree hugging aging hippy.......
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 04:04 PM
I'd imagine a squirrel would give as good as it got from a terrier ! Although my lot have never been interested in squirrels/deer/ponies/rabbits. I think I just have lazy dogs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Yes he was a Parson Dawn lol! There just don't appear to be the same quantity of squirrels round here that there were in Essex!
Becky
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >