Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2006, 01:01 PM

baby birds

The past two days have been quite warm here which seems to have brought out all the newly fledged babies. I've had a lovely morning sitting on my patio watching baby sparrows and collared doves have their introdction to my bird feeding area! They don't seem at all shy and have been pecking seeds up off the floor just a couple of feet away from where I'm sitting. The baby sparrows had their first ever bath in my bird-bath and very funny it was to watch. They started off on the edge, just looking at the water, then gradually plucked up the courage to get in and have a good splash around. Now they don't want to stop and they've been in and out of there all morning. I love the way the baby sparrows vibrate their wings when they beg for food as if they're too helpless to feed themselves, but as soon as the mother turns her back they're pecking up seed like there's no tomorrow!

I've also had a pair of robins feeding each other worms (I think it's a mating ritual) and a pair of great-tits coming down to take tufts of Meg's hair (Not straight from her body obviously - I've got some pegged to the washing line!).

I've also watched a heron flying over getting mobbed by crows trying to scare it off.

Who needs television when you've got birds to watch?