Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 05:33 PM
The Pet Animals Act 1951

The Pet Animals Act 1951 (as amended in 1983) protects the welfare of animals sold as pets. The Act requires any person keeping a pet shop to be licensed by the local authority. Before granting a licence the local authority must be satisfied that the animals are kept in accommodation that is both suitable and clean; that they are supplied with appropriate food and drink; and are adequately protected from disease and fire. The local authority may attach any conditions to the licence, may inspect the licensed premises at all reasonable times and may refuse a licence if the conditions at the premises are unsatisfactory or if the terms of the licence are not being complied with.

Local authorities are responsible for enforcing the law in this area and anyone who has reason to believe that a pet shop is keeping animals in inadequate conditions should raise the matter with the local authority who will decide what action to take within the range of its powers.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/domestic/
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2005, 06:14 PM
I would definitely write to the Council - you may even be able to get a copy of the licence conditions, it may be data that is available under the Freedom of Information Act, so you can then bullet point to the Council where there are breaches of conditions. A lot of Environmental Health departments don't seem to be terribly geared up towards enforcing pet shop licenses so the more information you can give them, the better. I wouldn't copy the letter to the pet shop; if they get a 'surprise' visit and conditions are bad, they are more likely to be checked up on again than if they have already made it look better for the visit.

On the rabbit food tangent, I'd suggest trying your fussy bunnies on Science Selective, it comes in a minty green bag. It's a pellet food rather than a mix but my bunnies absolutely love it and even the two I have weaned off mixes (mix it in in increasing proportions over about 2 weeks) now tuck in and really love it. Pelleted foods are much better for your bunnies in a number of ways - many mixes don't have a high enough fibre content (should be minimum 14%, preferably higher) and too high a protein content (should be max 14%, preferably lower). High protein can encourage sticky bottoms which can be a real problem especially in summer and fly season, as there is a real risk of flystrike. Pellets also encourage a better eating action and are more "gritty" so help to grind down bunnies constantly growing teeth, and of course prevent your bunnies from picking out the yummy bits, which are usually the bits which are bad for them, like flaked maize which is way too high in starch to be good for them! I have also heard recently that ingredients such as locus beans (which my bunnies always loved!) are extremely bad for them and have been known to cause gut blockages!

When I first changed over to a pellet a couple of years ago, I was concerned that the lack of variety would bore them, but I suppose if you consider that wild bunnies eat grass, grass, grass and grass, with only a few other bits, it really doesn't seem to bother them and my bunnies look forward to their dinner times. I'd really recommend you give it a go - the three main recommended ones are Burgess Excel, Science Selective or Allen & Page. A&P are 23% fibre but it is harder to get hold of, whereas the other two are available from most pet shops/garden centres/vets surgeries etc and Pets at Home also stock Burgess.

Oooh sorry that turned into a bit of a lecture didn't it, sorry
JR Lady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2005, 05:01 AM
Hi Foxy...

Had a similar thing myself a couple of years ago with a pet shop within t
a garden centre...I rang the council and then wrote a letter to their Licensing department reporting my concerns for the animals kept there...There are strtict requirements for animals and birds kept in petshops and on sale to the public...The owners were threatened with their licence being revoked and conditions for the animals there were considerably improved...I also rang the RSPCA and recieved a letter from thei instpector saying that the matter had been investigsated by them and that they would be regularly checking on the animals kept in that establishment...

Perhaps you may consider doing the same Foxy...Hopefully to improve conditions for the animals and birds incarcerated there...

SL x
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Fluffybunny
I would definitely write to the Council - you may even be able to get a copy of the licence conditions, it may be data that is available under the Freedom of Information Act, so you can then bullet point to the Council where there are breaches of conditions. A lot of Environmental Health departments don't seem to be terribly geared up towards enforcing pet shop licenses so the more information you can give them, the better. I wouldn't copy the letter to the pet shop; if they get a 'surprise' visit and conditions are bad, they are more likely to be checked up on again than if they have already made it look better for the visit.

On the rabbit food tangent, I'd suggest trying your fussy bunnies on Science Selective, it comes in a minty green bag. It's a pellet food rather than a mix but my bunnies absolutely love it and even the two I have weaned off mixes (mix it in in increasing proportions over about 2 weeks) now tuck in and really love it. Pelleted foods are much better for your bunnies in a number of ways - many mixes don't have a high enough fibre content (should be minimum 14%, preferably higher) and too high a protein content (should be max 14%, preferably lower). High protein can encourage sticky bottoms which can be a real problem especially in summer and fly season, as there is a real risk of flystrike. Pellets also encourage a better eating action and are more "gritty" so help to grind down bunnies constantly growing teeth, and of course prevent your bunnies from picking out the yummy bits, which are usually the bits which are bad for them, like flaked maize which is way too high in starch to be good for them! I have also heard recently that ingredients such as locus beans (which my bunnies always loved!) are extremely bad for them and have been known to cause gut blockages!

When I first changed over to a pellet a couple of years ago, I was concerned that the lack of variety would bore them, but I suppose if you consider that wild bunnies eat grass, grass, grass and grass, with only a few other bits, it really doesn't seem to bother them and my bunnies look forward to their dinner times. I'd really recommend you give it a go - the three main recommended ones are Burgess Excel, Science Selective or Allen & Page. A&P are 23% fibre but it is harder to get hold of, whereas the other two are available from most pet shops/garden centres/vets surgeries etc and Pets at Home also stock Burgess.

Oooh sorry that turned into a bit of a lecture didn't it, sorry
No I really appreciate your advice Fluffybunny - thats why I posted in here I knew you would probably pick it up and I value your advice very highly. I am going to get some of that food that you recommend. I am like you I feel cruel if I just give him pellets but I suppose you have to be cruel to be kind don't you He is being very norty lately - I have given him the run of the shed through the day so he can get exercise and then we shut him in his cage at night so that I know he's nice and safe (well that was the general idea anyway ) but the little monkey has got wise to this now and hides under the guinea pig hutch so we can't get him Think he likes being a free range rabbit

I will try the council and see what can be done about those poor animals at the garden centre and I have decided I am not going to go there again. I am also going to write to the owner and tell him what I think about the state of his animals
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by JR Lady
Hi Foxy...

Had a similar thing myself a couple of years ago with a pet shop within t
a garden centre...I rang the council and then wrote a letter to their Licensing department reporting my concerns for the animals kept there...There are strtict requirements for animals and birds kept in petshops and on sale to the public...The owners were threatened with their licence being revoked and conditions for the animals there were considerably improved...I also rang the RSPCA and recieved a letter from thei instpector saying that the matter had been investigsated by them and that they would be regularly checking on the animals kept in that establishment...

Perhaps you may consider doing the same Foxy...Hopefully to improve conditions for the animals and birds incarcerated there...

SL x
Thanks JR Lady, (nice to see your again - I haven't seen your around for ages ) I am going to do what you say and write a letter to the licencing department. It really upsets me to see animals treated like this - I just can't understand why garden centres are allowed to have and breed animals at all -it should be stopped
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
The Pet Animals Act 1951

The Pet Animals Act 1951 (as amended in 1983) protects the welfare of animals sold as pets. The Act requires any person keeping a pet shop to be licensed by the local authority. Before granting a licence the local authority must be satisfied that the animals are kept in accommodation that is both suitable and clean; that they are supplied with appropriate food and drink; and are adequately protected from disease and fire. The local authority may attach any conditions to the licence, may inspect the licensed premises at all reasonable times and may refuse a licence if the conditions at the premises are unsatisfactory or if the terms of the licence are not being complied with.

Local authorities are responsible for enforcing the law in this area and anyone who has reason to believe that a pet shop is keeping animals in inadequate conditions should raise the matter with the local authority who will decide what action to take within the range of its powers.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/domestic/

Thanks for that info Hevvur - I am going to write a letter to the garden centre and to the licencing department too Just hope something gets done about them.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2