View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2018, 09:52 PM
I was going to get Steve one of those but it's at the bottom of an ever growing list...along with my tattoo that I have been waiting 18months for...I will get it at some point. Don't think I would cope with no tumble dryer...I very rarely hang stuff outside
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2018, 10:04 PM
I never hang stuff out. Out of the washer, into the dryer. Out of the dryer and into the wardrobe.

Anything that does the housework for me has my vote every time
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2018, 11:03 PM
I love hanging things on the line.........................
my aunt has a heated airer as no where to hang washing in the flat she likes it for underwear/underskirts etc and it works well.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2018, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Someone with knowledge? Good grief, we can't have that. We might actually get a decent service if we did. Personally, I think social workers are well aware of what's available but don't want to or are advised not to pass it on (or even lie in our case) as a cost cutting exercise. The whole system stinks and is definitely not fit for purpose. Just as a 'for instance' I asked that an interpreter be present today and they couldn't find one. I'm sure if he required one for any other purpose other than deafness one would have been found. Just another way to save money because they know that I can sign - it just makes meetings take twice as long as they should when trying to listen, answer questions and interpret while keeping in mind all the questions that need raising
A good friend of mine is deaf and uses sign language when he had to answer questions asked by benefits officials he used sign language to answer them. He told his Mom and now his brother not to answer when they accompany him. Oddly after 4 meeting they always "find" an interpreter for him now.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2018, 11:36 PM
Without an interpreter, Kaz, he wouldn't know what questions were being asked. He can't lipread and his reading skills leave a heck of a lot to be desired. He does well if things are really simplified into easy words, but as an example today, he bought something, I said he'd got a bargain and then spent the next five minutes explaining what bargain meant in different ways
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2018, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Without an interpreter, Kaz, he wouldn't know what questions were being asked. He can't lipread and his reading skills leave a heck of a lot to be desired. He does well if things are really simplified into easy words, but as an example today, he bought something, I said he'd got a bargain and then spent the next five minutes explaining what bargain meant in different ways
God love him.

Noel can lip read - very well he has always been deaf and has 5 older sisters (of whom one is my best friend from when we were 5) so he learnt fast or we would dress him up/paint his nails unless he said No really quick. His real name is David but the family call him Noel as he was born on Christmas eve
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2018, 12:25 AM
Gary's been deaf from birth, but he could never get the hang of lipreading. When he was 7 the deaf school he attended moved him over to signs. They tried to avoid as much as possible because Manchester University came up with the idea that deaf people should use sign language so they could better fit into society. Great for those who could get to grips with lipreading but it was causing so many difficulties for those who couldn't that they had to introduce it in those cases
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3